Options

RapidMiner Studio 6 freezing OSX Mavericks

neo82087neo82087 Member Posts: 2 Contributor I
edited November 2018 in Help
Hi, I saw one previous treads with similar issues but didn't see any resolution, so thought I'd post here. Running OSX 10.9.2 and 64 bit RapidMiner Studio 6

1)The issue occurs immediately upon starting. I was able to complete the first tutorial, then it froze. After force quitting, It immediately freezes upon presenting the restore previous session message. Can't get past this. I've tried restarting, deleting the .RapidMiner folder in /Users/ and re-installing, nothing seems to work
2) I have no database connection in the process
3)I launch the program by double clicking on the icon from with the folder. I've tried running from /downloads and from within /applications
4) Performance monitor appears normal, it doesn't appear to be taking up more memory than usual, just red and 'Not Responding'
5) Log file posted below
6) Java version 1.7.0_51

Mar 17, 2014 11:55:36 AM com.rapidminer.RapidMiner performFirstInitialization
INFO: Performing upgrade  to version 6.0.002
Mar 17, 2014 11:55:36 AM com.rapidminer.tools.I18N <clinit>
INFO: Set locale to en.
Mar 17, 2014 11:55:36 AM com.rapidminer.license.ProductConstraintManager initialize
INFO: Initializing license manager.
Mar 17, 2014 11:55:36 AM com.rapidminer.license.ProductConstraintManager initialize
INFO: Using default license location.
INFO: Registering default product.
Mar 17, 2014 11:55:36 AM com.rapidminer.tools.plugin.Plugin registerPlugins
INFO: Register plugin: Data Editor
Mar 17, 2014 11:55:37 AM com.rapidminer.tools.expression.parser.ExpressionParserFactory <clinit>
INFO: Default version of expression parser registered successfully
Mar 17, 2014 11:55:38 AM com.rapidminer.tools.jdbc.JDBCProperties <init>
WARNING: Missing database driver class name for ODBC Bridge (e.g. Access)
Mar 17, 2014 11:55:38 AM com.rapidminer.tools.jdbc.JDBCProperties registerDrivers
INFO: JDBC driver ca.ingres.jdbc.IngresDriver not found. Probably the driver is not installed.
Mar 17, 2014 11:55:45 AM com.rapidminer.gui.ApplicationPerspectives loadAll
CONFIG: Loading perspectives.
Mar 17, 2014 11:55:46 AM com.rapid_i.deployment.update.client.UpdateManager$3 run
INFO: Checking for updates.
Mar 17, 2014 11:55:47 AM com.rapid_i.deployment.update.client.UpdateManager$3 run
INFO: No updates since null.

Answers

• Options
    neo82087neo82087 Member Posts: 2 Contributor I
    I've updated to the Early Access Release of the JDK and things seem to be working: https://jdk8.java.net/download.html
  • Options
    Marco_BoeckMarco_Boeck Administrator, Moderator, Employee, Member, University Professor Posts: 1,995 RM Engineering
    Hi,

thank you for your feedback! I have forwarded it to our QA department.

Regards,
    Marco
  • Options
    Marco_BoeckMarco_Boeck Administrator, Moderator, Employee, Member, University Professor Posts: 1,995 RM Engineering
    Hi,

is this still an issue with the OS X version of Studio 6.4?

Regards,
    Marco
  • Options
    JEdwardJEdward RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, Member Posts: 578 Unicorn
    Hi Marco,

We have RM 6.4 installed on a couple of Macs here and I haven't heard any reports of the problem from the users yet (although they are currently on other projects mainly so haven't had time to really push it).  Next week we'll have time to test heavily and see if we can break anything. 

One thing we have found it that annotations on Mac can't display Chinese characters whereas all our Linux PCs don't have the issue (will test Windows at the weekend).  Both are set to UTF-8 as encoding in RM Studio preferences. 

See below as a quick example.
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="no"?>
    <process version="6.4.000">
      <context>
        <input/>
        <output/>
        <macros/>
      </context>
      <operator activated="true" class="process" compatibility="6.4.000" expanded="true" name="Process">
        <process expanded="true">
          <portSpacing port="source_input 1" spacing="0"/>
          <portSpacing port="sink_result 1" spacing="0"/>
          <description align="center" color="yellow" colored="false" height="105" resized="false" width="180" x="10" y="10">Hello &amp;#20320;&amp;#22909;&amp;#12290;&lt;br/&gt;</description>
          <description align="center" color="yellow" colored="false" height="105" resized="false" width="180" x="142" y="119">If you are on a Mac and there is an issue then you will see squares in the following text: &amp;#25968;&amp;#25454;&amp;#20998;&amp;#26512;&amp;#65281;</description>
        </process>
      </operator>
    </process>
  • Options
    DocMusherDocMusher Member Posts: 333 Unicorn
    Running RM 6.4 on OSX Yosemite, no problem except lost radoop extension and launchpad shows 2 icons for RM.
    Cheers
    Sven
  • Options
    JEdward wrote:

Hi Marco,

We have RM 6.4 installed on a couple of Macs here and I haven't heard any reports of the problem from the users yet (although they are currently on other projects mainly so haven't had time to really push it).  Next week we'll have time to test heavily and see if we can break anything. 

One thing we have found it that annotations on Mac can't display Chinese characters whereas all our Linux PCs don't have the issue (will test Windows at the weekend).  Both are set to UTF-8 as encoding in RM Studio preferences.   

See below as a quick example.
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="no"?>
    <process version="6.4.000">
      <context>
        <input/>
        <output/>
        <macros/>
      </context>
      <operator activated="true" class="process" compatibility="6.4.000" expanded="true" name="Process">
        <process expanded="true">
          <portSpacing port="source_input 1" spacing="0"/>
          <portSpacing port="sink_result 1" spacing="0"/>
          <description align="center" color="yellow" colored="false" height="105" resized="false" width="180" x="10" y="10">Hello &amp;#20320;&amp;#22909;&amp;#12290;&lt;br/&gt;</description>
          <description align="center" color="yellow" colored="false" height="105" resized="false" width="180" x="142" y="119">If you are on a Mac and there is an issue then you will see squares in the following text: &amp;#25968;&amp;#25454;&amp;#20998;&amp;#26512;&amp;#65281;</description>
        </process>
      </operator>
    </process>
    Hi,

we cannot reproduce the display issue on our Mac systems. Both the process you posted as well as directly pasting chinese characters works without any issue on a fresh western European OS X 10.10.3
    Is there something out of the ordinary on your system which might cause this?

Regards,
    Marco
  • Options
    JEdwardJEdward RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, Member Posts: 578 Unicorn
    Hi Marco,

Yes, it might be something specific if you can't replicate. 
    The same issue just occurred on a customer MacBook too so will investigate deeper & raise a support ticket.