Options

"Many questions before starting (OS, DB, Differences)"

FrederikVBFrederikVB Member Posts: 4 Contributor I
edited May 2019 in Help
Hello,

I want to test rapidminer before I will buy and really use it and therefore I have many question on which I hope you can help me.

1.) Which is the best OS to use Rapidminer with? Is it possible to use it with MS Vista or Ubuntu?
2.) Which MySQL Version is working best with Rapidminer (thought about 5.2 Community Edition)?
3.) What are the differences between the Community and the Commercial Versions? Are there any other than Multicore Support und Support in general?

Hope anybody can help me concerning this questions, thank you very much in advance!

Greetings

Frederik
Tagged:

Answers

• Options
    landland RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, Member Posts: 2,531 Unicorn
    Hi Frederik,
    I will give my best to answer your questions.
    1.) Since it is purely written in java, the OS doesn't matter that much. I would suggest using any 64-bit OS, supporting the newest Java versions. In general the java versions seem to be published at first for windows, but with linux following directly behind. So you are free to decide. Vista might consume a little bit more of memory than Ubuntu, but if you have enough, this should not pose any problem.
    2.) I didn't notice any difference. I'm using version 5.0.67 without any problems.
    3.) Beside Support with limited reaction time and in the higher end versions even consulting, they include reporting which is a very powerful tool for routine tasks at hand which have to be performed frequently. Beside this there is the possibility of user specific development of operators, solving some specific problems.

Greetings,
      Sebastian
  • Options
    Hi Sebastian,

thank you very much for your quick response, have installed it now on Vista and will start testing it soon.

Greetings

Frederik
  • Options
    I already installed Rapidminer under Red Hat, Windows Vista and XP without having any Problems :) But now I have one important question: Does Rapidminer has an OpenGL Output?

Greetings

Frederik
  • Options
    IngoRMIngoRM Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, Community Manager, RMResearcher, Member, University Professor Posts: 1,751 RM Founder
    Hi,

you mean for rendering 3D visualizations? Unfortunately not.

Cheers,
    Ingo
  • Options
    Yes I meant for rendering... Anyways, I'm impressed about the fast response time in this forum here ;)

Greetings

Frederik