Due to recent updates, all users are required to create an Altair One account to login to the RapidMiner community. Click the Register button to create your account using the same email that you have previously used to login to the RapidMiner community. This will ensure that any previously created content will be synced to your Altair One account. Once you login, you will be asked to provide a username that identifies you to other Community users. Email us at Community with questions.

Command Line script just keeps running on RM Server

psp627psp627 Member Posts: 3 Contributor I
edited November 2018 in Help
Using RM 5.3 and RM Server, I  am trying to run a command line script using the Execute Program Operator.
In the process, with the first operator I change the directory which seems to work.
I then have a 2nd Execute Program Operator with the following syntax:

cmd /c start tableau refreshextract --config-file "C:\Users\905657\Documents\config.txt"

This script works if I type it directly into the command line, but when executed using RM, the process just runs and runs, never completing.

I have tried the same command in RM without the "start" at the beginning and when I do that it immediately fails.
'I'm a newbie at this- any help would be greatly appreciated.
Tagged:

Answers

• Marco_BoeckMarco_Boeck Administrator, Moderator, Employee, Member, University Professor Posts: 1,996 RM Engineering
    Hi,

if you use cmd /c start, you are opening a new command line shell AND the process will not continue until that shell is manually closed by the user. That is obviously not feasible on a server so I suggest only using cmd /c command. Generally speaking, the "Execute Program" operator has to be used carefully on Windows machines, otherwise you might end up waiting forever.

FYI, RapidMiner 6.0.3 fixed a bug which caused stopping such a process on Windows to not do anything. With 6.0.3 and later you can just stop such a process straight away.

Regards,
    Marco
  • psp627psp627 Member Posts: 3 Contributor I
    thanks,
    when I run the same command only using cmd /c before the command it immediately fails with error code 1

I also created a .bat file and tried having RM Server run that but then it fails immediately (using just cmd /c) with error code 9,009.

Any other suggestions?
  • Marco_BoeckMarco_Boeck Administrator, Moderator, Employee, Member, University Professor Posts: 1,996 RM Engineering
    Hi,

works fine for me.

Process:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="no"?>
    <process version="6.1.0">
      <context>
        <input/>
        <output/>
        <macros/>
      </context>
      <operator activated="true" class="process" compatibility="6.1.0" expanded="true" name="Process">
        <process expanded="true">
          <operator activated="true" class="execute_program" compatibility="6.1.0" expanded="true" height="94" name="Execute Program" width="90" x="45" y="30">
            <parameter key="command" value="cmd /c c:\users\XYZ\Desktop\test.bat"/>
            <list key="env_variables"/>
          </operator>
          <connect from_op="Execute Program" from_port="out" to_port="result 1"/>
          <connect from_op="Execute Program" from_port="err" to_port="result 2"/>
          <portSpacing port="source_input 1" spacing="0"/>
          <portSpacing port="sink_result 1" spacing="0"/>
          <portSpacing port="sink_result 2" spacing="0"/>
          <portSpacing port="sink_result 3" spacing="0"/>
        </process>
      </operator>
    </process>
    Batch file:

echo "test" > C:\users\XYZ\Desktop\test.txt
    Running that process locally or on RapidMiner Server produces a test.txt on my desktop.

Regards,
    Marco