Options

Real business problem

NofreetagNofreetag Member Posts: 1 Contributor I
edited November 2018 in Help
Dear community,

I am new to data mining/RM and would need a little help to start  :-[ 

I have an actual business problem and would like to use DM for this. The business question is this: Which customer should I offer what product at what discount rate. Since I would like to focus on declining accounts I would also need to include the growth rate of the respective accounts. My data set includes account# (id, nominal), product (nominal), average discount rate (numerical), growth rate (numerical). I can also add geographic location but the importance is somewhat lower (it might be that in some locations people get unusually high discounts). I thought I should segment the customers so that I  can focus on some customer groups (e.g. medium discount, medium decline, which products have been bought.

So what do you think would be the best way to go about that and why?

Thanks a lot!

Marcus

Answers

• Options
    MartinLiebigMartinLiebig Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, University Professor Posts: 3,510 RM Data Scientist
    Hi Marcus,

the quesion is kind of complex.
    The key question is, if you have "correct' example = labeled data. Then you can go for "standard" supervised learning. Often this is not the case and you need to work in an unsupervised manner with Clustering, Cross-Distances or FP-Growth.
    I don't know how big your project is, but Rapidminer is also offering consulting and has quite some partners which might help. If you need any information on that, you can contact me via mschmitz at rapidminer.com

Cheers,
    Martin
    - Sr. Director Data Solutions, Altair RapidMiner -
    Dortmund, Germany