allow users to add notes to operators

Legacy UserLegacy User Member Posts: 0 Newbie
edited June 2019 in Help

While working with operators, it would be helpful to be able to add notes to them. For example, you might add a warning to an learning function that is particularly slow to train. Or perhaps the citation for the original algorithm. These notes would apply to the operator wherever it was used.

It would also be helpful to have an easy editor to edit the Root description or add other notes that are particular to a file.

--Gary

Answers

• steffensteffen Member Posts: 347 Maven
    Hm

There is already an option to add comments for each operator via comments tab. Additionally the help (F1) for each operator shows basic information like citation (see for example some of weka bayes operators). So ... what do you have in mind, what is missing currently ? :)

kind regards,

Steffen
  • Legacy UserLegacy User Member Posts: 0 Newbie

Yes, the comments tab is what I had in mind, in part. Couple of notes:

- It appears to save comments per-file rather than globally. It would be nice to have user-comments that attach to operators across files, like the F1 help comments. That way, I could add notes about their usage that would appear when I use them in new files. For example, I would like to insert the basic SQL I use with the DatabaseExampleSource operator. Then I could copy/paste it into the SQL parameter field and modify it when I insert a new operator.

- The comments tab does not seem to support line feeds. On my Mac, when I return to a previously written comment, all of the linefeeds have been removed, making a mess of the code or SQL snippets I stored there.

Thanks,
    Gary
  • IngoRMIngoRM Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, Community Manager, RMResearcher, Member, University Professor Posts: 1,751 RM Founder
    Hello,

It appears to save comments per-file rather than globally. It would be nice to have user-comments that attach to operators across files, like the F1 help comments. That way, I could add notes about their usage that would appear when I use them in new files.
    indeed a nice idea. I have added this to our wish list for the UI redesign of RapidMiner 5.

Cheers,
    Ingo