Due to recent updates, all users are required to create an Altair One account to login to the RapidMiner community. Click the Register button to create your account using the same email that you have previously used to login to the RapidMiner community. This will ensure that any previously created content will be synced to your Altair One account. Once you login, you will be asked to provide a username that identifies you to other Community users. Email us at Community with questions.

LibSVM Parameter Gamma = Sigma?

Fred12Fred12 Member Posts: 344 Unicorn
edited November 2018 in Help

hi,

I was just wondering,  what is the formula used for the RBF Kernel, is it the first or second (Gauss-RBF) formula used from here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radial_basis_function_kernel

because I noticed, when I set parameter Gamma, the training data will usually overfit if my gamma is chosen very small, but in other literatures, I read that if u make gamma big enough, the training point influence will get closer to each point, which means it overfits...

but I guess, as my data gets overfit if gamma is smaller, what actually is meant by gamma in the LibSVM Parameter is Sigma... and probably the formula:   gamma = 1/(2*sigma^2) was used, is that correct?

Tagged:

Best Answer

• Fred12Fred12 Member Posts: 344 Unicorn
    Solution Accepted

yes I did, it is: K(xi , xj ) = exp(−γ*||_xi − x_j||^2 ) where gamma :  y=1/(2*sigma^2)

so I guess I was wrong, a smaller gamma then actually means a bigger sigma, which means broader influence of data points and smoothed (less hard) decision boundaries, and otherwise a bigger gamma means smaller sigma in the formula and therefore smaller influence of a data point such that only those support vectors very close to the decision boundary are considered and therefore a bigger chance for overfitting the training data...

I was just wondering because I got better scores with usually smaller gamma, so I thought that overfitted my data but its actually the other way around

Answers