Due to recent updates, all users are required to create an Altair One account to login to the RapidMiner community. Click the Register button to create your account using the same email that you have previously used to login to the RapidMiner community. This will ensure that any previously created content will be synced to your Altair One account. Once you login, you will be asked to provide a username that identifies you to other Community users. Email us at Community with questions.

Optimisation Grid - Model Parameters for Training and Testing

LobbieLobbie Member Posts: 10 Contributor II
edited November 2018 in Help

Hi,

I am new to Rapidminer and am confused about cross validation, optimisation grid, train and testing.

I have 2 separate datasets i.e. 1 for training and 1 for testing.  I want to build a SVM model with cross validation and to use optimisation grid to get the best hyperparameters.  My questions are,

1.  Do I nest the optimisation grid inside the cross validation operator or do I nest the cross validation operator inside the optimisation grid?

2.  Once the optimisation is completed, do I manually get the parameters eg C and gamma values for the SVM model and build separately a SVM model and use an Apply Model & Performance operator with the test data?  Or there is a better way to do this?  A picture of the process flow is much appreciated as I am unable to visualise how it looks.

Thanks,

Lobbie

Tagged:

Best Answer

• Telcontar120Telcontar120 RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, Member Posts: 1,635 Unicorn
    Solution Accepted

You put the cross-validation into your optimization grid operator, and then select the parameters you want to optimize.  The optimization operator will then output the optimized model for you as well as a report of what the selected parameters were.  If you pull the Optimize (Grid) operator into your process pane and then look at the help, there is a link to open a tutorial process (this is true of most operators, by the way), and it will show you a process with the most common configuration.  That should get you started.

Brian T.
    Lindon Ventures 
    Data Science Consulting from Certified RapidMiner Experts

Answers

• LobbieLobbie Member Posts: 10 Contributor II

Brian, thank you for your help.  Much appreciated.