Options

M5 Prime?

daviddonohuedaviddonohue Member Posts: 8 Contributor II
edited June 2019 in Help
Ingo and friends,
I am quite fond of the Weka M5P learner.  I find it to be fast and highly flexible.  Specifically, none or very few of the RapidMiner learners can handle numeric or nominal attributes with a numeric label. 
Am I missing something in the standard RapidMiner learners?
Any plans to implement a RapidMiner version of M5P?
Thanks,
David

Answers

• Options
    IngoRMIngoRM Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, Community Manager, RMResearcher, Member, University Professor Posts: 1,751 RM Founder
    Hi David,

you are right, natively only the NeuralNet and NearestNeighbors support numerical predictions for nominal attributes. We will therefore add a M5P implementation to our todo list. Of course we also highly appreciate any contribution if someone is interested in implementing this learner.

We actually had a regression tree some time ago in our developer version but it turned out to perform less good on a large set of test sets and so we decided to stick to appropriate preprocessing operators (for example turning the nominal attributes into numerical ones) and apply superior learning schemes.

Cheers,
    Ingo
  • Options
    daviddonohuedaviddonohue Member Posts: 8 Contributor II
    Thanks, Ingo!
    David