Due to recent updates, all users are required to create an Altair One account to login to the RapidMiner community. Click the Register button to create your account using the same email that you have previously used to login to the RapidMiner community. This will ensure that any previously created content will be synced to your Altair One account. Once you login, you will be asked to provide a username that identifies you to other Community users. Email us at Community with questions.

Optmise deicision tree parameters

sinead_brackensinead_bracken Member Posts: 5 Contributor I
edited November 2018 in Help

I have created a process which trains a decision tree model. 

The optimise parameter operator was used to optimise this model. 

Question: Does the optimise operator create the most satisfactory model based on the parameters you put into the operator?

i.e. if I put in min_leaf_size as min:1 and Max 15, the operator choses the most appropirate min_leaf_size?

Also, just theoretically, if my accuracy was 71.6% for my model ,what approaches would one take to improve their model? I understand each study is case specific, but are there any general rules?

thank you for taking the time to read this,

Sinead

Tagged:

Answers

• sgenzersgenzer Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, Community Manager, Member, University Professor, PM Moderator Posts: 2,959 Community Manager

hello @sinead_bracken - yes Optimize Parameters cycles through all the permutations selected and chooses the parameters that result in the best performance.  Note that adding additional permutations can be very resource-consuming as it's exponentially more cases to examine.  If you open the Churn Modeling template there is actually a very good example of how these pieces all connect together.

Screen Shot 2017-11-20 at 1.21.04 PM.png

Scott