Due to recent updates, all users are required to create an Altair One account to login to the RapidMiner community. Click the Register button to create your account using the same email that you have previously used to login to the RapidMiner community. This will ensure that any previously created content will be synced to your Altair One account. Once you login, you will be asked to provide a username that identifies you to other Community users. Email us at Community with questions.

if-function, comparing dates

felix_wfelix_w Member Posts: 61 Contributor II
edited November 2018 in Help

Dear Rapidminer Community, 

I have a problem I am pretty sure you can help me with. ;) 

I have a range of dates which are listed below each other like this: 

What I would like to do is to implement a seperate Attribute which sets a mark if the date is before a certain date. This means, set "1" if date is before 01.08.2016 and after 01.08.2016 set 2. 

The date format I use in Rapidminer is: e.g. "Apr 1, 2015 12:00AM"

I tried to do this via "Generate Attributes" and implement an if-function. Like: if(date < 01.08.2017, 1,2) but it didnt work. Is there any handy possibility to do this? 

Best regards

Felix

Best Answer

• Edin_KlapicEdin_Klapic Employee, RMResearcher, Member Posts: 299 RM Data Scientist
    Solution Accepted

Hi @felix_w,

In your special case you might also consider the function expression date_before().

The expression would then be:

if(date_before(Datum,date_parse_custom("01.08.2016","dd.MM.yyyy")),1,2)

Process is attached.

Best regards,

Edin

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><process version="8.0.001">
    <context>
    <input/>
    <output/>
    <macros/>
    </context>
    <operator activated="true" class="process" compatibility="8.0.001" expanded="true" name="Process">
    <process expanded="true">
    <operator activated="true" class="retrieve" compatibility="8.0.001" expanded="true" height="68" name="Retrieve Datum" width="90" x="45" y="34">
    <parameter key="repository_entry" value="//Local Repository/Community/date problem/Datum"/>
    </operator>
    <operator activated="true" class="generate_attributes" compatibility="8.0.001" expanded="true" height="82" name="Generate Attributes" width="90" x="179" y="34">
    <list key="function_descriptions">
    <parameter key="before my date" value="if(date_before(Datum,date_parse_custom(&quot;01.08.2016&quot;,&quot;dd.MM.yyyy&quot;)),1,2)"/>
    </list>
    </operator>
    <connect from_op="Retrieve Datum" from_port="output" to_op="Generate Attributes" to_port="example set input"/>
    <connect from_op="Generate Attributes" from_port="example set output" to_port="result 1"/>
    <portSpacing port="source_input 1" spacing="0"/>
    <portSpacing port="sink_result 1" spacing="0"/>
    <portSpacing port="sink_result 2" spacing="0"/>
    </process>
    </operator>
    </process>

Answers

• MartinLiebigMartinLiebig Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, University Professor Posts: 3,528 RM Data Scientist

Hi,

i am a fan of using date_diff even though i often mess up a minus sign. So my way would be:

if(
    date_diff(date_parse_custom("01-01-2017","dd-MM-YYYY"), date) > 1,
    "date is bigger",
    "date is smaller"
    )

Best,

Martin

- Sr. Director Data Solutions, Altair RapidMiner -
    Dortmund, Germany
  • felix_wfelix_w Member Posts: 61 Contributor II

Hi Martin, 

first of all thank you for help!

I have one further question. The if-function you sent me works for the day 01.01.2017 but when I am adapting the date to e.g 01.04.2017 it still sets the markers only before and after the 01.01.2017? Furthermore, I don't really understand what the "< 1" does in the function? 

Best regards

Felix

• MartinLiebigMartinLiebig Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, University Professor Posts: 3,528 RM Data Scientist

Hi,

date_diff returns the number of milliseconds between the two dates which are delivered. If this is > 1 then the first date was bigger than the second (or the other way around?).

Thus you can easily do 01-04-2017 or what ever you prefer. You can also change the format, since i used the custom date format option.

Note: date is the attribute i am comparing this to

Best,

Martin

Dortmund, Germany

Hi Martin, 

I am sorry I have adapted the function but it still does not work on my data? It still sets marks until 01.01.2017 and then changes although I have changed the date in the function to 01.04.2017? 

Yes, I have set date to my "Datum"

Hey,

can you maybe post an example process? Hard to debug without

Best,

Martin

Dortmund, Germany

Hi Martin, 

I can't send you the original process because it contains sensitive material but I simply copied the "Datum" column in a seperate excel and the only thing to do would be to load it and then use generate attribute. 

Thank you a lot for helping me out!! 

Regards

Felix

YESS it worked :D

Although I have no idea why my own solution didn't work because I think I tried this before but nevermind I am just happy that it works now ! 

Also thank you again Martin for your help! 

Best regards

Felix

• Edin_KlapicEdin_Klapic Employee, RMResearcher, Member Posts: 299 RM Data Scientist

Date functions are always tricky :)

Luckily, the explanations in the function expressions are quite helpful in those cases.

Best,

Edin

image.png