Due to recent updates, all users are required to create an Altair One account to login to the RapidMiner community. Click the Register button to create your account using the same email that you have previously used to login to the RapidMiner community. This will ensure that any previously created content will be synced to your Altair One account. Once you login, you will be asked to provide a username that identifies you to other Community users. Email us at Community with questions.

"Directory location Mac/Linux of RM building blocks possibly not correct since version 5"

ralph_brecheiseralph_brecheise Member Posts: 17 Maven
edited June 2019 in Help

Hi,

I was looking into RM building blocks and was curious to know where these are physically stored on disk. My "Local Repository" is symlinked to Google Drive so I always have everything wherever I go. I wanted to do the same thing for building blocks.

On Mac (and I suppose Linux) the RM 8.1 configuration files are stored in ~/.RapidMiner. Inside that directory there's a folder "buildingblocks". However, when I create a building block in RM this directory remains empty. It turns out that RM writes the building block XML directly to ~/.RapidMiner instead of this (more logical) "buildingblocks" folder because I see the file

~/.RapidMiner/Retrieve1.buildingblock

instead of ~/.RapidMiner/buildingblocks/Retrieve1.buildingblock

When the building blocks are 1 level up I cannot easily symlink them to somewhere else. I'd like to symlink the whole "buildingblocks" directory to Google Drive but if it stays empty that's a bit pointless :)

Could you perhaps submit a bug report for this and fix this? It would greatly help my way of working.

Cheers,

Ralph

Answers

• MartinLiebigMartinLiebig Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, University Professor Posts: 3,528 RM Data Scientist

Ralph,

this is somewhat inteded behaviour. we've added the buildingblocks folder in 7.5 or so. It should enable you to clone a GitHub repo of building blocks into this subfolder. We did not change the "normal" behaviour of storing this in the .RapidMiner folder.

Best,

Martin

- Sr. Director Data Solutions, Altair RapidMiner -
    Dortmund, Germany