Preparing the Extension Template: Issue with Gradle (unresolved dependencies)

s1phschos1phscho Member Posts: 7 Contributor I
edited August 2019 in Help

Hi everyone,

It seems to me i'm missing out on something here. I've downloaded the Extension template, but can't get it running properly. When i start gradle.build via Eclipse (or the ./gradlew initializeExtensionProject OR installExtension in a Command prompt), it fails.

This is the Error in Eclipse when i attempt importing the Project:

Synchronize Gradle projects with workspace failed due to an error in the referenced Gradle build. Could not fetch model of type 'ExtensionProject' using Gradle distribution 'https://services.gradle.org/distributions/gradle-2.3-bin.zip'.

A problem occured configuring root project 'extension'. Could not resolve all dependencies for configuration ':provided'. Could not find com.rapidminer.external:vldocking:1.2.2-SNAPSHOT.

Searched in the following locations: [...]

The PowerShell Error is pretty much the same. I've tried changing the Gradle distribution in the Wrapper, but then i get NullPointerExceptions, and i assume that this isn't the correct way to go anyways.

Changing Java Versions seems to have no effect overall either, but i haven't tried every possible combination, obviously.

What comes to mind, is that Gradle is at 4.7+ by now, and the extension template still uses 2.3. Is there a reason for that?

Philipp S.

Best Answer

• jczogallajczogalla Employee, Member Posts: 144 RM Engineering
    Solution Accepted

Hello again!

Can you try this again? It should work now. There was a small hickup with the maven dependencies.

Cheers
    Jan

Answers

Hi Philipp!

The problem seems to be the unresolved dependency com.rapidminer.external:vldocking:1.2.2-SNAPSHOT. We are looking into this and give an update shortly.

Cheers

Jan

• yunhaojohnyunhaojohn Member Posts: 2 Contributor I

Hi I met the same problem here. After I implemented a new operator in the template project and run ./gradlew installExtension, I got the following error messages:

What went wrong:
    A problem occurred configuring root project 'rapidminer-textminer'.
    > Could not resolve all dependencies for configuration ':provided'.
       > Could not resolve com.rapidminer.external:vldocking:1.2.2-SNAPSHOT.
         Required by:
             com.xiaomi.micloud:rapidminer-textminer:1.0.0 > com.rapidminer.studio:rapidminer-studio-core:8.2.0
          > Could not resolve com.rapidminer.external:vldocking:1.2.2-SNAPSHOT.
             > Unable to load Maven meta-data from https://jcenter.bintray.com/com/rapidminer/external/vldocking/1.2.2-SNAPSHOT/maven-metadata.xml.
                > Could not GET 'https://jcenter.bintray.com/com/rapidminer/external/vldocking/1.2.2-SNAPSHOT/maven-metadata.xml'.
                   > sun.security.validator.ValidatorException: PKIX path building failed: sun.security.provider.certpath.SunCertPathBuilderException: unable to find valid certification path to requested target

It seems pretty much the same as what Philipp has been through. Can you help me with that?

Hi @yunhaojohn!

It seems there is a problem with this versions dependencies. You can fix that by adding

provided "com.rapidminer.external:vldocking:1.2.2"

to the dependencies block of your gradle.build file. I hope this helps!

Cheers,

Jan

• yunhaojohnyunhaojohn Member Posts: 2 Contributor I

It works to me. Thanks!

• s1phschos1phscho Member Posts: 7 Contributor I

Kind of a late reply but yeah, it worked shortly after you posted this :)

also i had to change the gradle version from 2.3 to 2.4 for some reason, haven't testet whether this would be neccessary still, though.

• sgenzersgenzer Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, Community Manager, Member, University Professor, PM Moderator Posts: 2,959 Community Manager

hi all - I'm just curious...what extensions are you trying to build?

Scott

• s1phschos1phscho Member Posts: 7 Contributor I

@sgenzer wrote:

hi all - I'm just curious...what extensions are you trying to build?

Scott

it's a Part-of-Speech-tagger Package. Part of a Bachelor Thesis for the chair for Databases and Information Systems (AI4) at the University in Bayreuth, Germany. There are multiple such projects, in order to build a full NLP library :)

• sgenzersgenzer Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, Community Manager, Member, University Professor, PM Moderator Posts: 2,959 Community Manager

wow super interesting! Please let me know when you get it all working (I'm sure you will!). I'm tagging my NLP extension builder colleague @mschmitz...perhaps there are some opportunities here?

Scott