Options

"Java documentation for RM 5beta"

jtanjtan Member Posts: 9 Contributor II
edited May 2019 in Help
I see that the latest documentation is rapidminer-4.4-tutorial.pdf, is there one for 5.0?

If so, could you please send one for us? We are about to start the work of integrating 5.0 as our AI engine next week.

thanks

Answers

• Options
    landland RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, Member Posts: 2,531 Unicorn
    Hi,
    until now there's no such tutorial and there still might be some api changes in the final version. I just want you to be aware of this :)

AI engine sounds interesting, what project are you working on?

Greetings,
      Sebastian
  • Options
    But is this http://rapid-i.com/downloads/tutorial/rapidminer-4.4-tutorial.pdf still applicable? if not, could you send me some samples of how to integrate into Java web apps?

Sorry, it is a classified project, that much I could say :(

Thanks for your prompt reply and understanding.
  • Options
    haddockhaddock Member Posts: 849 Maven
    Hi Folks,
    samples of how to integrate into Java web apps?

Sorry, it is a classified project, that much I could say
    I've just read http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AGPL and ponder the legal issues of this scenario  :o

• Options
    landland RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, Member Posts: 2,531 Unicorn
    Hi,
    thank you Haddock for pointing this out. I always feel bad, if I have to remark, that someone uses an OEM license of RapidMiner to build a non AGPL3 program with it...

But coming back to the original topic: There are some unchanged things in the api, but at least the operator class has been changed completely and even the process does not remain unchanged. But the good news are; if you would buy an OEM license from us, we would include a new tutorial, adapted on RapidMiner 5 :)

Another way around these issues would be, to let us provide the needed rapid miner functionality as webservice for you. Currently we have some customers, using our webservice for doing sentiment analysis, so that they can easily integrate it into their website. So you would have an individual interface, designed for your needs, without having to struggle with api changes or license related stuff of rapid miner.

Greetings,
      Sebastian
  • Options
    Ok, not sure what is the real issue here since I am asking for the sample codes in 5.0 not the consulting service. So correct me if I am wrong, so that we can see if we can use Rapid Miner for our purpose. We do not intend to sell a product, but "intend" to provide a service over the web. We sell our service not the software. Are you saying that in AGPL, we have to expose our source codes as well?

We do not mind quoting Rapid Miner as our engine, and that is usual in OSS. Would anyone care to explain and/or educate?

Thank you.
  • Options
    haddockhaddock Member Posts: 849 Maven

Are you saying that in AGPL, we have to expose our source codes as well?
    As you have seen, that's what it says, and what I meant  :o, even for 'classified', whatever that means, stuff.
  • Options
    What do you mean?
  • Options
    IngoRMIngoRM Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, Community Manager, RMResearcher, Member, University Professor Posts: 1,751 RM Founder
    Hello,

here are some comments from the "official" side - I have also just sent you a mail.

You seem to have misunderstood the rights our open source license (the AGPL) give you and I want to clarify the main aspects. The AGPL, just like the GPL, allows the integration of RapidMiner into other open source projects - which again has to be licensed under the AGPL! And that, beside other implications, also means that the resulting product again has to be open source and you have to release the source code just in the same way as we have to do with the RapidMiner sources. Please note that the AGPL explicitly also covers the usage within web or other services and hence it is also necessary to make your service open source. No way around that with the AGPL.

If you intend to write a proprietary product / service (it does not matter if you want to sell it or not) including RapidMiner or parts of RapidMiner you will have to contact us. In this case we will sort the details out and in most cases we will be able to offer you a closed source license (also called OEM license) allowing you the integration in your product. Don't be afraid, there are many possible options for licensing models and until now we were always able to find a common license model which suits both parties needs.

You can find more options about the possible options at

http://rapid-i.com/content/view/16/39/

I recommend to get in touch with us under

contact@rapid-i.com

in order to sort these legal issues out.

All the best,
    Ingo
  • Options
    Thanks Ingo, I understand AGPL now. We will use it just as a tool in compliant of AGPL terms of usage, nothing else.