Due to recent updates, all users are required to create an Altair One account to login to the RapidMiner community. Click the Register button to create your account using the same email that you have previously used to login to the RapidMiner community. This will ensure that any previously created content will be synced to your Altair One account. Once you login, you will be asked to provide a username that identifies you to other Community users. Email us at Community with questions.

Multinomial Logistic Regression in Rapidminer

sunnyalsunnyal Member Posts: 44 Contributor II
edited December 2018 in Help

Hi,

I wanted to perform a Multinomial Logistic Regression for designating our customer types. I do not see any operator for this can you provide some guidance in this regards

Thx

Best Answer

• Thomas_OttThomas_Ott RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, Member Posts: 1,761 Unicorn
    Solution Accepted

@sunnyal the Generalized Linear Model operator can do Multinominal labels, just have to set the Family parameter to multinominal

Answers

• rfuentealbarfuentealba RapidMiner Certified Analyst, Member, University Professor Posts: 568 Unicorn

Hi @sunnyal,

Is there any difference between polynomial and multinomial logistic regressions? Because if there isn't a difference, I remember that there is an operator named Logistic Regression (Evolutionary), that you can configure to do polynomial regressions.

All the best,

• sunnyalsunnyal Member Posts: 44 Contributor II

Thank you Rodrigo, Tom,

I also see an operator called Polynomial regression. Would this suffice the need for performing multinomial regression?? Is there a difference between this an Logistic Regression (Evolutionary) and Generalized Linear Model ??

Also, do we have an sample process on Generalized Linear Model with family type as multinomial, that I can infer ??

Thx 

• Thomas_OttThomas_Ott RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, Member Posts: 1,761 Unicorn

@sunnyal The Polynominal Regression operator can only use a numerical label with numerical labels, so you can't use it for a multi-label application. The Logistic Regression (Evolutionary) operator is a lot like a standard LR algo BUT uses a Support Vector Machine to determine the boundary conditions of a binomal label. So that won't work either if you have multi-labels (i.e. more than 2). 

The best bet, IMHO, is to use the GLM operator. It's a modern implementation and really fast.