Due to recent updates, all users are required to create an Altair One account to login to the RapidMiner community. Click the Register button to create your account using the same email that you have previously used to login to the RapidMiner community. This will ensure that any previously created content will be synced to your Altair One account. Once you login, you will be asked to provide a username that identifies you to other Community users. Email us at Community with questions.

Cases involving resource allocation

sebastian_gonzasebastian_gonza RapidMiner Certified Analyst, Member Posts: 52 Guru
edited December 2018 in Help

Hello,

I wanted to know if there is already a Case in rapidminer that involves the following problem:

I have 3 machines which are constantly moving between 5 locations, each one has a daily cost of use, a cost of transportation between each point and different delivery in hours per location, I would like to know which is the optimal machine allocation between locations in order to maximize hours of use and have the minimum cost, I have an idea in R with a function and maximize the function with restrictions, but I dont know If I do this in rapidminer?

Thank you

If there is an applied case that is close to this problem it would come very handy!

Answers

• MartinLiebigMartinLiebig Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, University Professor Posts: 3,531 RM Data Scientist

Hi,

you could use Prescriptive Optimization for it. Would be a bit of creative usage though.

BR,

Martin

- Sr. Director Data Solutions, Altair RapidMiner -
    Dortmund, Germany
  • Telcontar120Telcontar120 RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, Member Posts: 1,635 Unicorn

Yes, this seems like more of a straightforward operations research constrained optimization problem.  You could probably repurpose RapidMiner to do something like this, but you may find an easier solution using a purpose-built solver for this type of problem (e.g., simplex method / linear programming).  There are many such tools out there, including some that are plug-ins for Excel, so a little bit of google searching should be a good starting point.

Brian T.
    Lindon Ventures 
    Data Science Consulting from Certified RapidMiner Experts