Options

How can I convert to use on my ChromebooK?

j_hawkins4716j_hawkins4716 Member Posts: 1 Newbie
Download on my chromebook computer but rapid miner did not pop up.

Answers

• Options
    rfuentealbarfuentealba Moderator, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, Member, University Professor Posts: 568 Unicorn
    Hi @j_hawkins4716, be welcome to the RapidMiner Community.

Before I continue, I should ensure you understand that neither RapidMiner nor its partners condone breaking software licenses or performing illegal or non-permitted activities. Why do I say that? Because part of my answer is about rooting your computer, and I'm not sure about the legal status of it but jailbreaking (like, rooting iPhones) is illegal in some places. Make sure you understand the license and the consequences of rooting your computer. That said, it is possible that there are no consequences but better safe than sorry.

Now, to the answer: though a Chromebook runs on top of the Linux kernel, by default it is locked so a normal user cannot install Java on it. Therefore it is not a supported platform. The geek inside me may help, tho:

To install Java, you should turn your device into Developer mode (every computer has a different way to do it, make sure you search for yours), and open the command shell with Ctrl + Alt + T to open the terminal. Once you are in crosh, type shell to access the bourne again shell or bash. You should then login as root, remount your root filesystem to make it writeable, download the jdk for your machine (32 or 64 bits), uncompress it in /opt and use ln to make a link to the Java binary to /usr/bin/java.

The same goes for RapidMiner Studio. Download RapidMiner Studio for Linux, uncompress it in /opt/rapidminer and everytime you want to execute it, you should execute /opt/rapidminer/bin/studio.sh. (or whatever the execution command looks like, I don't have a Linux at hand right now).

Now, some things won't work: since Chromebooks most likely don't use a FreeDesktop-compliant window manager or desktop environment, you might have problems with proxies and/or clicking on the repository tab to open the folders you created on the Finder/Explorer/File Manager. I would love to have a Chromebook at hand to check and fix it.

A WORD OF CAUTION: Your machine might not be ready to execute Java programs. In that case, abort the mission, because your computer can freeze or something else, and it is super painful.

I usually finish my answers with "Hope it helps", but this time I should say "Good luck with your endeavour, and please keep us informed if it works somehow, as this would be a massive good thing to show off and worth promoting you to the Unicorn level if it does work."

All the best,

Rodrigo.
  • Options
    sgenzersgenzer Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, Community Manager, Member, University Professor, PM Moderator Posts: 2,959 Community Manager
    haha very diplomatic @rfuentealba. My 10 cents is that I would strongly discourage ANYONE from using RapidMiner on a Chromebook. It just does not have the power to do anything beyond web browsing (what it's designed to do). Rather I would recommend you try using RapidMiner AutoModel Cloud instead: https://automodel.rapidminer.com

Scott