Options

Why is Scatter 3D plot in RM 9.2 limited to 2000 rows????

TripartioTripartio Member Posts: 37 Maven
The Scatter 3D Color plot used to be my favourite plot in RM, but I just discovered to my shock that it seems to be limited to 2000 rows with the new 9.2.1 visualizations version now called "Scatter 3D":

I tried "Packed Bubble" as an alternative way of displaying four dimensions at a time, butI got exactly the same error message, this time, for "Plot packedbubble".

Considering that most, if not all, of my datasets for which I need 4D visualization have more than 2000 rows, could someone please help me get around this 2000-row limitation? And might someone know why RapidMiner would actually take away functionality (that is, restricting data to 2000 rows where there was previously no such restriction) in an upgrade to its data visualizations?

I face this error with multiple datasets, but here's the XML process that produced the error above using a built-in sample dataset (you can see that there's nothing special about my "configuration" as the "the current configuration" might suggest, other than I have more than 2000 rows):

<div><br></div><?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><process version="9.2.001"><br>&nbsp; <context><br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <input/><br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <output/><br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <macros/><br>&nbsp; </context><br>&nbsp; <operator activated="true" class="process" compatibility="9.2.001" expanded="true" name="Process"><br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <parameter key="logverbosity" value="init"/><br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <parameter key="random_seed" value="1234"/><br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <parameter key="send_mail" value="never"/><br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <parameter key="notification_email" value=""/><br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <parameter key="process_duration_for_mail" value="30"/><br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <parameter key="encoding" value="SYSTEM"/><br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <process expanded="true"><br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <operator activated="true" class="retrieve" compatibility="9.2.001" expanded="true" height="68" name="Retrieve Transactions" width="90" x="581" y="34"><br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <parameter key="repository_entry" value="//Samples/data/Transactions"/><br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; </operator><br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <operator activated="true" class="generate_attributes" compatibility="9.2.001" expanded="true" height="82" name="Generate Attributes" width="90" x="715" y="34"><br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <list key="function_descriptions"><br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <parameter key="pairs" value="if(mod(Amount,2) == 0, true, false)"/><br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; </list><br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <parameter key="keep_all" value="true"/><br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; </operator><br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <connect from_op="Retrieve Transactions" from_port="output" to_op="Generate Attributes" to_port="example set input"/><br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <connect from_op="Generate Attributes" from_port="example set output" to_port="result 1"/><br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <portSpacing port="source_input 1" spacing="0"/><br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <portSpacing port="sink_result 1" spacing="0"/><br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <portSpacing port="sink_result 2" spacing="0"/><br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; </process><br>&nbsp; </operator><br></process><br>

Best Answer

• Options
    Marco_BoeckMarco_Boeck Administrator, Moderator, Employee, Member, University Professor Posts: 1,995 RM Engineering
    edited March 2019 Solution Accepted
    Hi,

Unfortunately, the limitation for Scatter3D has technical reasons.
    Replacing the old charts has had enormous benefits and the new visualizations can do a huge amount of things the old ones could not do at all, but at the same time we had to drop / reduce some features to make the transition to a modern technology happen. Unfortunately, Scatter3D is one of the victims. We did not do this to spite anyone, but the harsh reality is, sometimes you have to make some sacrifices to advance overall.
    For the time being, you can still get the old charts by going to the Settings, clicking "User Interface", and then selecting "Show legacy simple charts".

Regards,
    Marco

Answers

• Options
    TripartioTripartio Member Posts: 37 Maven
    @Marco_Boeck, thanks for the solution. No need to apologize: redesigning the platform for long-term growth is definitely the way to go! To complete your instructions, the place I needed to go is Settings | Preferences, before "User Interface"; and I had to restart RapidMiner before the simple charts became accessible.

One important note (and request): since the simple charts are still available, then this is not a reduction in functionality at all, and should not be presented as such; it is rather an addition of superior visualization functionality while hiding (but not removing) the older functionality. For cases where functionality seems to be reduced, such as for charts like Scatter 3D and maybe Packed Bubble where only 2000 rows are supported, the error message should directly alert users of the alternative of using the legacy charts if necessary. So, instead of the error message "Plot scatter3d does not support more than 2,000 rows with the current configuration", there should be a more informative message like, "Plot scatter3d does not currently support more than 2,000 rows. You may try the legacy simple charts (Settings | Preferences | User Interface) to support more rows." I know that is a long error message, but this was almost a showstopper for me, so that kind of message could be helpful to users with needs like mine.

• Options
    Marco_BoeckMarco_Boeck Administrator, Moderator, Employee, Member, University Professor Posts: 1,995 RM Engineering
    Hi,

Just an FYI, Packed Bubble is something new, we did not have that before :)

Regular bubble charts you can create by selecting Scatter and then setting a size column.

Regards,
    Marco