Due to recent updates, all users are required to create an Altair One account to login to the RapidMiner community. Click the Register button to create your account using the same email that you have previously used to login to the RapidMiner community. This will ensure that any previously created content will be synced to your Altair One account. Once you login, you will be asked to provide a username that identifies you to other Community users. Email us at Community with questions.

"Transform CSV list into Dummy Variables"

alliaallia Member Posts: 3 Contributor I
edited June 2019 in Help
I have a list variable (social media usage) that I would like to recode in a few easy steps from list to a collection of dummies (sm1, sm2, sm3, ...). 

My process looks like this:

And my output looks like this:

I'm an intuitive learner and just started with RapidMiner 2 days ago, I understand that at this point I'd need to introduce a transformation/ recode variable operator in between normalisation and results, but I'm not quite sure how to do that. Didn't find any transformation/ recode operator in the operator pannel.

Thank you for taking your time with my question. I know I could have googled it, but I'm a little overwhelmed with the sheer amount of information.
Tagged:

Best Answer

• IngoRMIngoRM Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, Community Manager, RMResearcher, Member, University Professor Posts: 1,751 RM Founder
    Solution Accepted
    Hi,
    You can use the operator "Split" for this with the setting "unordered split".  Below is the XML code of a process with a small example.
    Hope this helps,
    Ingo
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><process version="9.2.001"><br>&nbsp; <context><br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <input/><br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <output/><br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <macros/><br>&nbsp; </context><br>&nbsp; <operator activated="true" class="process" compatibility="9.2.001" expanded="true" name="Process"><br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <parameter key="logverbosity" value="init"/><br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <parameter key="random_seed" value="2001"/><br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <parameter key="send_mail" value="never"/><br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <parameter key="notification_email" value=""/><br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <parameter key="process_duration_for_mail" value="30"/><br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <parameter key="encoding" value="UTF-8"/><br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <process expanded="true"><br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <operator activated="true" class="utility:create_exampleset" compatibility="9.2.001" expanded="true" height="68" name="Create ExampleSet" width="90" x="45" y="34"><br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <parameter key="generator_type" value="comma separated text"/><br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <parameter key="number_of_examples" value="100"/><br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <parameter key="use_stepsize" value="false"/><br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <list key="function_descriptions"/><br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <parameter key="add_id_attribute" value="false"/><br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <list key="numeric_series_configuration"/><br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <list key="date_series_configuration"/><br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <list key="date_series_configuration (interval)"/><br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <parameter key="date_format" value="yyyy-MM-dd HH:mm:ss"/><br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <parameter key="time_zone" value="SYSTEM"/><br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <parameter key="input_csv_text" value="Social Media&#10;Facebook, Twitter, Instagram&#10;Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter&#10;LinkedIn, Instagram, Whatsapp&#10;LinkedIn, Twitter"/><br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <parameter key="column_separator" value=":"/><br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <parameter key="parse_all_as_nominal" value="false"/><br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <parameter key="decimal_point_character" value="."/><br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <parameter key="trim_attribute_names" value="true"/><br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; </operator><br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <operator activated="true" class="split" compatibility="9.2.001" expanded="true" height="82" name="Split" width="90" x="179" y="34"><br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <parameter key="attribute_filter_type" value="all"/><br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <parameter key="attribute" value=""/><br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <parameter key="attributes" value=""/><br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <parameter key="use_except_expression" value="false"/><br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <parameter key="value_type" value="nominal"/><br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <parameter key="use_value_type_exception" value="false"/><br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <parameter key="except_value_type" value="file_path"/><br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <parameter key="block_type" value="single_value"/><br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <parameter key="use_block_type_exception" value="false"/><br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <parameter key="except_block_type" value="single_value"/><br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <parameter key="invert_selection" value="false"/><br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <parameter key="include_special_attributes" value="false"/><br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <parameter key="split_pattern" value=", "/><br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <parameter key="split_mode" value="unordered_split"/><br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; </operator><br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <connect from_op="Create ExampleSet" from_port="output" to_op="Split" to_port="example set input"/><br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <connect from_op="Split" from_port="example set output" to_port="result 1"/><br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <portSpacing port="source_input 1" spacing="0"/><br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <portSpacing port="sink_result 1" spacing="0"/><br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <portSpacing port="sink_result 2" spacing="0"/><br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; </process><br>&nbsp; </operator><br></process>

Answers

• alliaallia Member Posts: 3 Contributor I
    edited May 2019
    Thank you, it worked wonders. The split operator was what I was looking for, I just didn't know it was called that way.  :)