Options

Unable to connect to local SQL db

macinrmacinr Member Posts: 3 Newbie
edited August 2019 in Help
Hi, I downloaded Rapid Miner and I am really curious if it can help with my task of data analysis. However, I cannot connect to my local MS SQL Express database. I've set up the url which looks like this:

jdbc:sqlserver://localhost:1433;databaseName={DbName};integratedSecurity=true;

and when I don't provide the name of DB connection works well, but I have no possibility to access the data, since I am then not connected to a specific database. However, once I specify the name of DB I receive following error message:

Cannot open database "DbName" requested by the login. The login failed. ClientConnectionId:1ead8148-9161-45d6-996b-abab22121

Anyone has any suggestions what steps to take to resolve the problem?
Thanks
Marcin 
Tagged:

Answers

• Options
    Marco_BoeckMarco_Boeck Administrator, Moderator, Employee, Member, University Professor Posts: 1,995 RM Engineering
    Hi,

Connecting via Windows Authentication to MSSQL requires a special .dll file. See https://docs-beta.rapidminer.com/latest/studio/connect/database/jdbc/mssql.html#win-auth
    Unfortunately, the functionality described in that article is not yet live, it will come with RapidMiner Studio 9.4 soon.

For now, you will need to copy that .dll into the RapidMiner Studio installation folder, into the jre/bin folder and restart Studio.

Regards,
    Marco
  • Options
    Thanks Marco,
    I tried and no luck with proposed solution. I went a step further and created a dedicated user "rm" on the db, and the message I get is 
    "Login failed for user 'rm'. ClientConnectionId:6ee55dc3-be1b-44b8-bf8b-e60f21126bd8"

Maybe it has something to do with how I've set up the user? I tried to login with the newly created user using Microsof SQL Management Studio and it works ... but not through Rapid Miner...any ideas what else I could check?

Thanks
    Marcin 

• Options
    Marco_BoeckMarco_Boeck Administrator, Moderator, Employee, Member, University Professor Posts: 1,995 RM Engineering
    Hi,

If you're trying to connect with a regular user, you must NOT set integratedSecurity. So remove "integratedSecurity=true;" from your connection URL and try again with that new user.

Regards,
    Marco
  • Options
    Hi Marco,
    I did remove the flag
  • Options
    guylaine_bourquguylaine_bourqu Member Posts: 1 Contributor I
    Hello, I have the same problem: unable to connect to local sql server instance. I have spent I don't know how many hours trying everything found on Google, I keep getting the error message that TCP/IP connection to the host has failed. I had no problems with previous versions of Rapidminer. I have the following URL:
    jdbc:sqlserver://LENOVO\MSSQLSERVER2012:1433;databaseName=%{database}
    The connection works well with Tableau and PowerBI, either with Windows auth or with user & pwd. Any idea before I throw my computer by the window ?