Options

RM Server with Write Excel

domi_wiesedomi_wiese Member Posts: 28 Contributor II
Dear Community,

I'm currently facing the issue on the RM Server, that my process with the Operator "Write Excel" at the end, is eventually not creating any file.
Within RM Studio it's working perfectly fine and creating the Excel file on my local drive. So I've decided to execute this process on the Server, but as already described, it's not creating any Excel file. 
I'm suggesting, since the process is executed on the server and therefore only able to store this file on the "Server repository", it's not possible for me to create the file on my local drive, but on the Repository of the Server.
Since I'm already having a connection on my RM Studio to the Server Repository I've tried to write the destination within the "Write Excel" Operator, like in the following:
//ServerRepository/home/dominic\file_name.xlsx
Nevertheless, it's still not working.

I would appreciate your help dear Community.
Thanks a lot.
Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    sgenzersgenzer Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, Community Manager, Member, University Professor, PM Moderator Posts: 2,959 Community Manager
    hi @domi_wiese in this case you really want to use the Store operator, not Write Excel. 'Store' will save your ExampleSet in your server repository as you want. 

FWIW the reason that Write Excel probably is not working for you is that it is being executed inside of the server job container, which ceases to exist as soon as the job is finished. It literally goes poof. You would need to write the file to somewhere outside of the JC in order for it to persist after the job is completed.

Scott
  • Options
    Hi @sgenzer thank you very much for you response. The Store operator is working fine, so that is great!

The other topic with Server and the Write Excel operator: So could it actually mean, that the excel will be created on my local drive, but then as you said, after not even a second it literally goes poof ?

Interesting idea to write the process outside of the JC. Because when I was executing the process it has always been through a Queue which has a Job Agent implemented. Are you suggesting to create a new Queue with no Job Agent, and then let the process run through the new Queue? 

Thank you very much
    Dominic
  • Options
    MartinLiebigMartinLiebig Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, University Professor Posts: 3,510 RM Data Scientist
    Hi,
    what you by the way can do is store the excel file as a file object in the repository. Thats the purple object coming out of Write Excel. This can then be used with Write file to write the file again anywhere. Or you can actually return it as a result of a webserivce. So you lilterally have a link letting you download an excel file.

Cheers,
    Martin
    - Sr. Director Data Solutions, Altair RapidMiner -
    Dortmund, Germany
  • Options
    Hi @mschmitz thank you very much for your response. I will try to do it as you told me. If I will still face issues, I might come back again for your helpful advice.

Dominic
  • Options
    kaymankayman Member Posts: 662 Unicorn
    @domi_wiese, you can store an Excel file from a server if you are in network. But rather than using the 'standard' path logic you need to use the network path to your local disc in that case.

In the end the server will write away to anywhere that's accessible through the file system. 
  • Options
    @kayman thank you for this hint. I'm actually VPN connected, in order to get the data from the SQL Server. Would this also work with the network path?
  • Options
    @kayman alright, thank you very much for your help!