Options

Unable to connect to local SQL Server Express

e_krause_kraus Member Posts: 7 Contributor I
edited April 2020 in Help
I'm trying to connect to a local SQL Server Express database and followed recommendations from https://community.rapidminer.com/discussion/comment/60894
I added the "IntegratedSecurity=true" property and added the "sqljdbc_auth.dll" library on the driver tab.
My URL is jdbc:sqlserver://localhost:1433;databaseName=Crash2019
and I'm getting the error message
"The TCP/IP connection to the host localhost, port 1433 has failed. Error: "Connection refused: connect. Verify the connection properties. Make sure that an instance of SQL Server is running on the host and accepting TCP/IP connections at the port. Make sure that TCP connections to the port are not blocked by a firewall."

Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    Marco_BoeckMarco_Boeck Administrator, Moderator, Employee, Member, University Professor Posts: 1,995 RM Engineering
    Hi,

Do you happen to have the full log of C:\Users\username\.RapidMiner\rapidminer-studio.log?

Regards,
    Marco
  • Options
    Here it is, thanks for taking a look!
  • Options
    Marco_BoeckMarco_Boeck Administrator, Moderator, Employee, Member, University Professor Posts: 1,995 RM Engineering
    Hi,

Thanks! Unfortunately, nothing is visible in there. Could add a "Read Database" operator into an empty process, use your DB connection, and run the process? It should fail with the error message you posted initially, and then the rapidminer-studio.log file should contain more information. That would be quite helpful!

Regards,
    Marco
  • Options
    Thanks Marco, here's the new version. FYI this is the "rapidminer-studio.log.1" file, I removed the .1 extension.  The "rapidminer-studio.log" file was unchanged.
  • Options
    rfuentealbarfuentealba Moderator, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, Member, University Professor Posts: 568 Unicorn
    Hello @e_kraus,

The TCP/IP connection to port 1433 on host RYZEN5_EK is failed. Do you have any kind of antivirus/firewall/anything that is blocking the connection?

You said it is a local Microsoft SQL Server connection. By any chance, can you connect through TCP using Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio? I can't recall properly, but somehow I think TCP is not a default in SQL Server. I may be wrong, though.

BTW, IntegratedSecurity is used to grant access using Windows credentials. If you have SQL Server's credentials (e.g. you connect using the "sa" role), it should be false. Normally you would have both in a local configuration. Do you have mixed credentials by any chance?

All the best,

Rod.
  • Options
    Pavithra_RaoPavithra_Rao Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, Member Posts: 123 RM Data Scientist
    Hi @e_kraus,

SEVERE: Process failed: Database error occurred: The TCP/IP connection to the host RYZEN5-EK, port 1433 has failed. Error: "Connection refused: connect. Verify the connection properties. Make sure that an instance of SQL Server is running on the host and accepting TCP/IP connections at the port. Make sure that TCP connections to the port are not blocked by a firewall.".

As @rfuentealba has mentioned, it may be due to port 1433 on host RYZEN5_EK not been enabled.

Could you try to enable/open this port as instructed here:
    https://www.windowscentral.com/how-open-port-windows-firewall

Regards,
    Pavithra

• Options
    Followed instructions but it did not work. I was not sure if I needed to create an inbound or outbound rule, so I created both, but I'm still getting the same error message that TCP/IP connection has failed to connect.
  • Options
    Pavithra_RaoPavithra_Rao Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, Member Posts: 123 RM Data Scientist
    Hi @e_kraus,

Could you please try restarting the host machine after setting the inbound and outbound rules?

Thanks,
    Pavithra
  • Options
    Pavithra, I restarted my machine, checked that inbound and outbound rules are active, but TCP/IP connection is still refused.
  • Options
    Fyi, I tried both with "integratedSecurity" property set to "true" and to "false".
  • Options
    Mharms, thanks for the tip, that solved it! I had to enable TCP/IP and change the port number. "IntegratedSecurity" has to be set to "true". Thanks again!