Options

What ate the definition of profit and gain?

koichikoichi Member Posts: 18 Learner I
In the result of Auto Modeling, there are Profits and Gain. What are the definition of those?

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    BalazsBaranyBalazsBarany Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert Posts: 955 Unicorn
    Hi!

You can enter a cost matrix when executing Auto Model.

Quite often, the (financial or other) consequences of correct and wrong classifications are different. E. g. you miss a fraud case - you lose 1000 $; you falsely flag a good case as fraud - somebody has to look at the data (costing you e. g. 2 $).

The false positives and negatives and also the correct predictions are weighted with this cost matrix. 

The gain is compared to the baseline of not having a model. 

Best regards,
    Balázs
  • Options
    Thank you for your answer.

OK. Here I can enter Cost Matrix, right? I'm just started to
    learn RapidMiner. It's little bit confusing because in Machine Learning usually cost imply cost of "cost function”. And there is no information about this cost Matrix in the left panel. And also I could not find any information about this  in RapidMiner documentation and tutorial videos. 

>The false positives and negatives and also the correct predictions are weighted with this cost matrix. 
    Does this mean Confusion matrix multiplied by cost Matrix in each cells? 

>The gain is compared to the baseline of not having a model. 
    The baseline is "Profits for Best Option"? 

How RapidMiner calculate "Profits for Best Option"? This may be the baseline of not having a model? For example, Random guessing? 

Best Regards,
    Koichi

• Options
    Thanks a lot. Balázs

Now, I understood.
    Those illustration should be included in the documentation.

Regards,
    Koichi