Due to recent updates, all users are required to create an Altair One account to login to the RapidMiner community. Click the Register button to create your account using the same email that you have previously used to login to the RapidMiner community. This will ensure that any previously created content will be synced to your Altair One account. Once you login, you will be asked to provide a username that identifies you to other Community users. Email us at Community with questions.

ARIMA parameter configuration p, q, d

BarclaeysBarclaeys Member Posts: 18 Learner I
edited August 2020 in Help
hi,

I am fairly new to data science and exploring time-series. I'm currently trying the ARIMA model but notice there is a big difference in the outcome of the model by configuring the p, q and d parameters. Is there anyone who can explain in simple words what each parameter means and how I can come up with the best configuration? Or should I use the default and use a parameter optimization?

I hope someone can share his/her experience.
Thanks,
Bart
Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers

• BarclaeysBarclaeys Member Posts: 18 Learner I
    Martin, once more thanks for your feedback. Is my understanding correct that to determine the best setting for the auto-regression, I should run an ACF on my data and check for how many lags I still see a specific correlation? And If so, is there anything similar that I can run for the MA part?
    Thanks, Bart
  • MartinLiebigMartinLiebig Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, University Professor Posts: 3,531 RM Data Scientist

i think there are in general two schools of thought here, when it comes down to hyper parameter settings

The Statisticians Way: Analyze the data and check what the right parameters of the algorithms should be. For example with ACF, but also other methods. For ARIMA I am not sure if there is a standard test to figure it out. @David_A and @yyhuang are bigger experts on this topic.

The Data Scientists Way: Just try many p/q/d values and find the best ones by doing a proper out-of-sample test.

I am a fan of #2, but this does not mean that #1 is wrong.

Best,
    Martin
    - Sr. Director Data Solutions, Altair RapidMiner -
    Dortmund, Germany