Retrieve, Read Excel and Read CSV Operators Give No Attributes in Drop Down

SkyTraderSkyTrader Member Posts: 88 Contributor II
edited August 2020 in Help
Hi,

My Retrieve, or Read Excel or Read CSV Operators don't give me any Attributes in the ARIMA time series attribute drop down fields?

Last time this happened I just repointed ARIMA to the file (either local or my repository) and it worked.
This time even converting my Excel to CSV made no difference.

I have had a lot of problems with ARIMA. For anyone who can understand what I'm missing from the following thread were Fabian has kindly spent a lot of time trying to help it's here: 

https://community.rapidminer.com/discussion/comment/66945#Comment_66945

I've been writing algo trading systems for 4 years so don't consider myself inexperienced with models/coding.

The only reason I'm using these operators is because I am rebuilding my ARIMA model from scratch. The reason is that I have literally been going one step forward and three behind with RM and ARIMA ever since having had perfect forecasts using the ARIMA and Apply Forecast operator two weeks ago and then not being able to replicate my results the following week or get it to actually ever predict beyond the last data point in my Excel sheet.

I have spent the last two weeks getting nowhere and tried all manner of combinations of Window, Step and Horizons and tried many different Horizons in Apply Model but it will NOT predict into the future and now I can't even get it to recognise my attributes which it managed to do beforehand. 

Best,
Sky Trader,

Tagged:

Answers

• MartinLiebigMartinLiebig Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, University Professor Posts: 3,497 RM Data Scientist
    I've i think asked you several times already: Did you try the auto forecasting extension? It does what you want to do and you can use it as a template.
    Best,
    Martin

- Sr. Director Data Solutions, Altair RapidMiner -
    Dortmund, Germany
  • tftemmetftemme Administrator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, RMResearcher, Member Posts: 164 RM Research
    Have you accidentally deselected the "Validate Automatically" option in the Process menu?
  • SkyTraderSkyTrader Member Posts: 88 Contributor II
    Hi Martin, @mschmitz

I don't recall you mentioning it before? Thanks! I've just tried it out. That's a neat feature because it seems I can then save and use the operators/process and "hot rod" it.

I get a warning though on "Run":
    "The attribute 20) was already present in the example set."

This was something I 
    already spent time resolving a while back (when imports failed) by renaming the columns where the number 20 appeared.

20 simply refers to the number of days used to calculate a financial technical indicator, eg EMA 20 (
    Exponential Moving Average) and they were initially in their own row at the top of Excel as variables I could change - pls see image but then added to the name columns because it couldn't be imported with the numbers in the variable row.

I haven't had any issue with my Excel dataset since I thought I'd resolved this by renaming many columns where "20" appeared and importing it into RM? It imported fine using ARIMA and Random Forests.

Are these column names now not distinct (for the purposes of Auto Model) by placing the "20" in brackets next to a unique column name?

Any idea what's happening re: the title of this post and how I get attributes to work again in the drop down?

Thanks very much,
    Ian
  • MartinLiebigMartinLiebig Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, University Professor Posts: 3,497 RM Data Scientist
    Hi,
    AutoModel has a known issue that it cannot handle ( or ). Please just replace it.

Best,
    Martin
    Dortmund, Germany
    edited August 2020
    Cheers Martin @mschmitz, removing brackets fixed it.

Quick question: Gradient Boosted trees came back as the best relative error performer for a daily Dow Jones prediction.

Under the Predictions tab, why is it that can I only see Row numbers and not my Dates (Dates was the first column in my Excel file)? That makes understanding the prediction difficult.

How do I see the 40% Hold Out predictions?

Going back to the original topic of this post (and I appreciate the interesting detour) -- do you have any hunches on what could be causing the attributes to not appear in my ARIMA time series attribute drop down fields? They used to work fine (apart from once and I just re-pointed RM to the file and it resolved the issue...but not this time) as I haven't done anything to the file other than update the Open/High/Low/Close from Yahoo Finance for the last 15 or so rows?

Thanks once again!
    Hi,
    did you run the import wizard? Thats usually the trick.

Best,
    Martin
    Dortmund, Germany
    edited August 2020
    Hi Martin, @mschmitz @tftemme

Yes my Auto Validate is ticked in the Process menu. Tried everything, import wizard and also sourcing from my local drive. Tried Retrieve and Store, tried Read Excel too for both Random Forest Model and ARIMA.

Still no attributes though?

When I first set up processes this was never a problem and I had a long drop down list of attributes. 

I still also can't get any future forecasts - always at my last Excel date of 14th Aug 2020 - don't know if it's related as attributes are written in to drop down. 

Cheers for any help,
    Hi Martin, @mschmitz

I've still also not been able to get the attributes to appear in the Time Series drop down? I saw someone else mention this missing attribute drop down issue above and they thought it happened after an update in August. Is that possible? Tried everything and the ARIMA Time Series attributes will not populate and I did update a few weeks ago and recently.

Cheers.
    edited August 2020
    Hi there, 

Nothing I have done (and I have spent many, many hours trying to fix it) can make this time series attribute drop down work anymore. It's always blank. It never used to be. It worked before the last two updates. Any ideas anyone? @tftemme @sgenzer. Thanks very much.