Due to recent updates, all users are required to create an Altair One account to login to the RapidMiner community. Click the Register button to create your account using the same email that you have previously used to login to the RapidMiner community. This will ensure that any previously created content will be synced to your Altair One account. Once you login, you will be asked to provide a username that identifies you to other Community users. Email us at Community with questions.

Correlation between polynominal attributes?

rapid1234rapid1234 Member Posts: 5 Learner I
Hi, I work with the employee attrition data set and have a question. The data set contains numerical values, bionominal and polynomial values. With the nummerical and bionominal values, I can use the operator correlationmatrix and see how the dependency on the target variable attribution is. How do I do that with polynomial values like business travel? Could I use the operater nominal to nummerical? or are there better alternatives to show the dependencies between the label and the polynomial values?

Thank you!
Tagged:

Answers

• MartinLiebigMartinLiebig Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, University Professor Posts: 3,531 RM Data Scientist
    Correlation is not defined for non-numerical data types. you need to use a measure which works on nominal data For example gini index.
    - Sr. Director Data Solutions, Altair RapidMiner -
    Dortmund, Germany
  • rapid1234rapid1234 Member Posts: 5 Learner I
    @mschmitzI have to choose "normalized weight" at gini index? Otherwise the correlation is very low.
  • MartinLiebigMartinLiebig Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, University Professor Posts: 3,531 RM Data Scientist
    Usually not. Normalize weight normalizes all values in a way, that the top value is 1.

Keep in mind, that the normalization of gini index is totally different to the normalization of correlation. A gini index of 0.1 is usually a powerful attribute.

BR,
    Martin
    - Sr. Director Data Solutions, Altair RapidMiner -
    Dortmund, Germany