Options

Process Failed - Holt-Winters is not ... trained before

kosekose Member Posts: 4 Learner I
edited August 2021 in Help
Hi all, 

I am pretty new at using rapidminer and I have a question which may have a very simple solution. When I run a pre-made process, I am getting this error:

"Process failed. Holt-Winters is not trained on a time series Run initializeSmoothing(List<Double) values before." 
prnt.sc/1l476bd

The process is working on the computer who sent me this process even though we follow every step exactly the same. I have installed Forecasting, Operator Toolbox, Holt-Winters Filtering extensions. 

Thanks in advance!

Tagged:

Best Answer

• Options
    tftemmetftemme Administrator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, RMResearcher, Member Posts: 164 RM Research
    Solution Accepted
    Hi @kose,

You probably found a bug, which rarely occurs and is caused by specific structure of your input data on which you want to train the Holt-Winters model on.
    We will work on the bug and fix it in a future version of RM Studio.

For now, you can check if you input data set contains one or more small period of 0 values. If the number of consecutive zeros in your data set is larger than the period, the bug is triggered. In this case please try a larger period for the Holt-Winters.
    Otherwise it also can be that you have every x value a zero, you have selected multiplicative for the seasonality model and you period is x (for example you have daily data but always 0 for the sunday (so every 7.th value) and you have 7 as the period. Than the error can be triggered as well. Than you can change to additive seasonality model for now.

Hopes this helps,
    Best regards,
    Fabian

Answers

• Options
    I am still having this problem. I also tried on another computer and I got the same error. I'll be thankful for any help!
  • Options
    MartinLiebigMartinLiebig Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, University Professor Posts: 3,509 RM Data Scientist
    Hi,
    this is something I never saw before. Any chance you can share the data and the process so that we can have a look?

Cheers,
    Martin
    - Sr. Director Data Solutions, Altair RapidMiner -
    Dortmund, Germany
  • Options
    Hi @mschmitz and @tftemme,

I will try it again with these instructions. If I find a solution, I will let you know as soon as possible. Otherwise, I can share the data and the process. 

Thank you so much for your help. 

Regards,
    Kose
  • Options
    MartinLiebigMartinLiebig Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, University Professor Posts: 3,509 RM Data Scientist
    Hi @kose ,
    thanks for the offer. I think we were able to reproduce the error on test data.

Please keep us posted on your progress.

Cheers,
    Martin
    - Sr. Director Data Solutions, Altair RapidMiner -
    Dortmund, Germany
  • Options
    Hi @mschmitz @tftemme,

Yes, it works! As you said, the problem was about the data, if the input data has a period full of 0's, then it gives this error. I appreciate your help so much.

Regards,
    Kose