Options

Installation Error

shdawsonshdawson Member Posts: 2 Newbie
Greetings to all!

I am new to RapidMiner. I am getting up and running with the application. I have an installation error. I am writing to ask for interpretation assistance of the error message.

stephen@LENOVO-SSD ~ $ java -version
openjdk version "11.0.11" 2021-04-20
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (build 11.0.11+9-Ubuntu-0ubuntu2.20.04)
OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (build 11.0.11+9-Ubuntu-0ubuntu2.20.04, mixed mode)
stephen@LENOVO-SSD ~ $

I am running the java installed from my Synaptic Package Manager for Linux Mint 20.

stephen@LENOVO-SSD ~ $ cat /etc/linuxmint/info
RELEASE=20.2
CODENAME=uma
EDITION="Cinnamon"
DESCRIPTION="Linux Mint 20.2 Uma"
DESKTOP=Gnome
TOOLKIT=GTK

stephen@LENOVO-SSD ~ $ uname -a
Linux LENOVO-SSD 5.11.0-25-generic #27~20.04.1-Ubuntu SMP Tue Jul 13 17:41:23 UTC 2021 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
stephen@LENOVO-SSD ~ $

Running the instructions from the URL (that I cannot post to this message because I am a newbie per the site restriction)

"The RapidMiner Studio installation package for Linux does not include a Java Runtime Environment. Before installing RapidMiner Studio, use the package manager of your distribution to install a version 8 JRE (unless it is already present with your operating system) and verify that the JAVA_HOME variable points to it or java (contained in the bin folder of your Java installation) is on the PATH."

I ignored this step, hoping the installer will help me accomplish it.

So, I ran the installer...but it does not seem to want to help me with this step.

stephen@LENOVO-SSD ~/Desktop/rapidminer-studio $ ./RapidMiner-Studio.sh
RAPIDMINER_HOME is not set. Trying the directory '/home/stephen/Desktop/rapidminer-studio'...
WARNING: An illegal reflective access operation has occurred
WARNING: Illegal reflective access by com.rapidminer.tools.ExtensibleResourceBundle (file:/home/stephen/Desktop/rapidminer-studio/lib/rapidminer-studio-i18n-9.9.2.jar) to field java.util.ResourceBundle.parent
WARNING: Please consider reporting this to the maintainers of com.rapidminer.tools.ExtensibleResourceBundle
WARNING: Use --illegal-access=warn to enable warnings of further illegal reflective access operations
WARNING: All illegal access operations will be denied in a future release
WARNING: An illegal reflective access operation has occurred
WARNING: Illegal reflective access by com.rapidminer.tools.ExtensibleResourceBundle (file:/home/stephen/Desktop/rapidminer-studio/lib/rapidminer-studio-i18n-9.9.2.jar) to field java.util.ResourceBundle.parent
WARNING: Please consider reporting this to the maintainers of com.rapidminer.tools.ExtensibleResourceBundle
WARNING: Use --illegal-access=warn to enable warnings of further illegal reflective access operations
WARNING: All illegal access operations will be denied in a future release
Aug 11, 2021 2:14:25 PM com.rapidminer.tools.PlatformUtilities logInfo
INFO: Searching in Java classpath for RapidMiner Studio jars...
INFO: Trying parent directory of '/home/stephen/Desktop/rapidminer-studio/lib/rapidminer-studio-core-9.9.2.jar'...
INFO: Gotcha! 'rapidminer.home' is: /home/stephen/Desktop/rapidminer-studio
INFO: Release platform: ANY
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: javax/xml/bind/DatatypeConverter
    at com.rapidminer.license.verification.JarVerifier.createPublicKey(JarVerifier.java:270)
    at com.rapidminer.license.verification.JarVerifier.<clinit>(JarVerifier.java:140)
    at com.rapidminer.launcher.GUILauncher.main(GUILauncher.java:287)
Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: javax.xml.bind.DatatypeConverter
    at java.base/jdk.internal.loader.BuiltinClassLoader.loadClass(BuiltinClassLoader.java:581)
    at java.base/jdk.internal.loader.ClassLoaders$AppClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoaders.java:178)
    at java.base/java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:522)
    ... 3 more
stephen@LENOVO-SSD ~/Desktop/rapidminer-studio $

So, I am not sure how to run the step I did not accomplish, and I do not know how to interpret the error messages from the installer script. I also am not sure if I need to remove my java installation and install another java version suitable for my Linux Mint box.

Thank you in advance for helping me get past newbie status!

Kindly,
Stephen

Best Answer

• Options
    Marco_BoeckMarco_Boeck Administrator, Moderator, Employee, Member, University Professor Posts: 1,995 RM Engineering
    Solution Accepted
    Hi,

You need to have Java 8 installed. Unfortunately, Studio does not work with Java versions above 8 for now.

Regards,
    Marco

Answers

• Options
    shdawsonshdawson Member Posts: 2 Newbie
    Got it, thanks. I appreciate your kind assistance.