Options

Where are Building Blocks stored?

c_cheec_chee Member Posts: 18 Maven
I managed to create a new Building Block by right clicking on a subprocess, and giving the Building Block a name.

Then I go to Edit menu -> Insert Building Block.
Here I can see the named Building Block I just created, but WHERE are these building blocks located?
Why does it NOT give me a location option when I first saved the Building Block?

Thanks

Best Answer

• Options
    BalazsBaranyBalazsBarany Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert Posts: 955 Unicorn
    Solution Accepted
    Hi!

Building Blocks are XML files in your home folder. That's ~/.RapidMiner/ on Linux and probably somewhere in your Documents folder on Windows.

They are global to one user on one computer, not restricted to a project, repository or process.

If you want to share them e. g. in a server repository or project, you could for example create a template process and put the building blocks into that. Other users can then open the process and copy the building blocks they need.

Best regards,

Balázs

Answers

• Options
    I've also discovered the Settings -> Manage Building Blocks.

So it looks like Building Blocks are functional entities but they must be kept globally and available to all. We cannot create a Building Block for one project or one process, rather it will be available globally once created. Is that right?
  • Options
    Thanks for that Balazs