Due to recent updates, all users are required to create an Altair One account to login to the RapidMiner community. Click the Register button to create your account using the same email that you have previously used to login to the RapidMiner community. This will ensure that any previously created content will be synced to your Altair One account. Once you login, you will be asked to provide a username that identifies you to other Community users. Email us at Community with questions.

Set Role used to allow any value as the target role

AndrewAndrew RapidMiner Certified Expert, RapidMiner Certified Master, Member Posts: 47 Guru
Now it constrains to a defined list which doesn't include "horizon".

If you have a complex process that needs to set roles for horizons produced after a Windowing operation, it's not possible to use the "Multi Horizon Forecast" operator because this expects roles of type "horizon".

Ideally, Set Role should allow arbitrary target roles or at least should allow "horizon". 

Best Answer

• MartinLiebigMartinLiebig Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, University Professor Posts: 3,527 RM Data Scientist
    Solution Accepted
    It would be nice if Set Role would allow the advanced usage like it used to since old processes using it will break otherwise. Here's one I prepared earlier (in 2011 - so somewhat old).

Old processes don't break, since the old set role operator is still there and does what it did before.

The whole thing of being able to use custom roles as one of the features basically no beginner found by himself. With the changes in the role system we allow users to find it easier. Also it was always confusing why roles needed to be unique. This is now also changed.

But yeah, Multi-Label and Multi-Horizon forecast operators may have challenges now.

Dirty work around is by the way to just copy the old set role from an old process and use it in the new one.

- Sr. Director Data Solutions, Altair RapidMiner -
    Dortmund, Germany

Answers

• David_ADavid_A Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RMResearcher, Member Posts: 297 RM Research
    Hi @Andrew ,

the new role type for arbitrary additional information is "Metadata" and the windowing operator already sets this role newly created horizon columns.

The multi horizon forecast operators is looking for the naming pattern of the columns not their roles. You can even define a custom schema with a regular expression for the horizon attributes.

Best,
    David
  • AndrewAndrew RapidMiner Certified Expert, RapidMiner Certified Master, Member Posts: 47 Guru
    Hello David

I copied this from the help of the Multi Horizon Forecast operator

The horizon attributes are selected using a regular expression on the attribute roles

It's not looking at the names of the attributes and I have seen this for myself.

I have a process that needs to filter out null horizon values so a later model doesn't blow up. I initially went down the route of converting them to regular and then filtering out all nulls (I was hoping for simplicity). Once I converted back to what I thought was the required role, the multi horizon failed. I suppose I could have tried looking for 

Metadata&nbsp; \+ (\d+).<br><p></p>

which is what I think the role types get set to but I did the filtering another way so it doesn't matter for me now. 

It would be nice if Set Role would allow the advanced usage like it used to since old processes using it will break otherwise. Here's one I prepared earlier (in 2011 - so somewhat old).

https://rapidminernotes.blogspot.com/2011/07/ignoring-many-attributes.html

and it would also be nice if Set Role could allow horizon as an attribute type since there's every chance an example set will contain metadata already and this will mess up the numbering.

cheers

Andrew

• David_ADavid_A Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RMResearcher, Member Posts: 297 RM Research
    We're looking into it.