Due to recent updates, all users are required to create an Altair One account to login to the RapidMiner community. Click the Register button to create your account using the same email that you have previously used to login to the RapidMiner community. This will ensure that any previously created content will be synced to your Altair One account. Once you login, you will be asked to provide a username that identifies you to other Community users. Email us at Community with questions.

Questions about Running Rapidminer in Headless Environment

tim0128tim0128 Member Posts: 6 Learner I

I was trying to run RapidMiner in a container of a Ubuntu server. I can ssh into the server but have no access to the GUI. I have installed the JRE (OpenJDK 11.0.20.1) and RapidMiner on the server. I ran the following command to execute a simple workflow that I scp to the server: username@serverip:~/rapidminer/rapidminer-studio/scripts$ ./rapidminer-batch.sh -f '/home/username/rapidminer/process/test.rmp'. The execution failed and it took a quite long time for the execution. (I have attached the workflow and the log file to this post) Here are some questions I got:

1. How do I create a workflow in Rapidminer without GUI? My local machine is using Windows and has Rapidminer installed. Currently, I just exported some workflow on my local machine and scp them to the server. Are these workflows compatible with different distributions of Rapidminers?
  2. How to install extensions on RapidMiner without GUI? What I was doing was downloading the .jar file from the marketplace and scp it to the /lib/plugins folder. Is this a good practice?
  3. How to activate the RapidMiner (Accept EULA) without GUI? It seems for each execution of my workflow, RapidMiner would need to initialize the license which takes a lot of time
  4. In the log file, what is causing the java.lang.IllegalArgumentException?
I am new to this. Sorry if any part of the question does not make sense. Appreciate your help!

Best Answer

• BalazsBaranyBalazsBarany Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert Posts: 955 Unicorn
    Solution Accepted
    Hi!

Creating processes is being done with the UI. The process files are XML documents and Studio on Windows is entirely compatible with Studio on Linux. Just be careful with things that are different, e. g. folder and file name conventions. I usually define path macros in the process context. 

You can manually put extensions into the ~/.RapidMiner/extensions folder. They don't belong into the RapidMiner installation folder as that will be overwritten when you update Studio.

At the first activation, you should "ssh -X" into the server (from a Linux machine or a setup with an X server, e. g. MobaXTerm) and just accept the EULA and enter the license data. Later executions will work from the command line.

There is a "headless" version of OpenJDK that doesn't try to access the X environment for command line programs. You should try to use that. Also there are "fake" X servers that provide enough of an environment for Java to run command line programs even if they ask for fonts or something similar.

No idea about the exception, sorry.

Regards,

Balázs

Answers

• MartinLiebigMartinLiebig Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, University Professor Posts: 3,531 RM Data Scientist
    Hi,
    i think what you want to do is use a RM AI Hub? Why do you want to run in headless mode?
    Best,
    Martin
    - Sr. Director Data Solutions, Altair RapidMiner -
    Dortmund, Germany