Options

How to connect Rapidminer with a database (ScienceDirect, Scopus etc.)?

RMNewbieRMNewbie Member Posts: 3 Newbie
Hello together. ;)

I'm a total beginner with Rapidminer and I want to use it for my Master-Thesis.
First I would like to describe to you what I want to use Rapidminer for.
Rapidminer is supposed to do a topic modelling for me. The goal is to get a word cloud with the most important topics.
I want to use multiple articles, book chapters etc. from ScienceDirect. I got over 6,000 results in my first search, so it would be impossible to download all of them one by one. Is it possible to create a connection to a database like ScienceDirect?

I hope you can help me. Maybe I'm totally wrong with my approach and Rapidminer won't work like that.

Thank you!

Hannes

Best Answers

• Options
    MartinLiebigMartinLiebig Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, University Professor Posts: 3,511 RM Data Scientist
    Solution Accepted
    Hi there,

ScienceDirect is not a database in the traditional sense. Usual databases like postgres, mysql etc are of course easily connectable.

The question at hand here is what the services offer as progammable way to interface with them. If they have a way to connect, we can see what we can do and usually there is a way to read it.
    Best,
    - Sr. Director Data Solutions, Altair RapidMiner -
    Dortmund, Germany
  • Options
    ceaperezceaperez Member Posts: 525 Unicorn
    Solution Accepted
    Hi @RMNewbie,
    What I use to do in this case, is to work with Scopus and export the search results with all the details that I need for my analysis as csv. After that, you can work with RM text processing extenssion to analyze your data.

best, 

Cesar

Answers

• Options
    Hey Martin,

thanks for your answer, it helps me a lot.

Kind regards,

Hannes
  • Options
    Hey Cesar,

thanks for the tip, it sounds great! I will give it a try.

Best,

Hannes