Add io-multiplier silently in the background

holgerholger Member Posts: 42 Contributor II
edited June 2019 in Help
Hi,

If i try to connect an already connected output-port an addtional node, the dialog pops up which allows me to choose between
"disonnect and connect",
"Add IO Multiplier" or
"Do connect ports".

However, I don't see the reason, why it needs to be that complicated. The third option is unnecessary by definition, as I tried to connect the port when the dialog shows up. What the user obviously has in mind is to connect the output of a node to an input. In the rare cases that the first option (disconnect+connect) applies, the user  can simply remove the outdated connection. So as a first step, io-multipliers could be inserted automatically.

Next, I wonder why I need to see the io-multiplier as a node. IMHO this is something technical which should be done silently in the background, as there is no gain (at least no visible one to me) of having a dedicated node for it. This is also supported by the fact that the "multiply" operator has no parameters at all. Dropping it would have make the visualization even better as the output-port of the node of interest would simply have several connections. btw, this is how most other workflow engines handle this.

What do you think?

Best, Holger

Answers

• fischerfischer Member Posts: 439 Maven
    Hi Holger,

yes, we had discussed that earlier. I still think having a node for the IOMultiplier is a good idea since it allows you to control the edges better. It certainly should look different than the regular operators, maybe just a small circle. However, it may get parameters, e.g. the copy type: copy reference / clone / clone and materialize.

Maybe we can skip the dialog.

Cheers,
    Simon
  • holgerholger Member Posts: 42 Contributor II
    Simon Fischer wrote:

Yes, we had discussed that earlier. I still think having a node for the IOMultiplier is a good idea since it allows you to control the edges better. It certainly should look different than the regular operators, maybe just a small circle. However, it may get parameters, e.g. the copy type: copy reference / clone / clone and materialize.
    I guess that most users will use default config of the multiplier anyway, and thus a small circle would clean up the processing workflow. And in the 1% of all cases where someone needs a non-standard multiplying-behavior, he/she could use the special operator.
    Simon Fischer wrote:

Maybe we can skip the dialog.
    +1

-h