Options

Memory Limits

B_MinerB_Miner Member Posts: 72 Contributor II
edited November 2018 in Help
I am sure this topic is beaten to death for any open source product like RM and Weka, but can I get a definitive answer for Rapid Miner?

Ran out of memory on a few runs with RM lately.

On a windows 32 bit operating system (XP), what is the max memory that can be used by RM?

On a windows 64 bit operating system (Windows 7), what is the max memory that can be used by RM?

Thanks!

Answers

• Options
    IngoRMIngoRM Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, Community Manager, RMResearcher, Member, University Professor Posts: 1,751 RM Founder
    Hello,

On a windows 32 bit operating system (XP), what is the max memory that can be used by RM?
    On Windows XP it's about 1.4 Gigabyte of memory.

On a windows 64 bit operating system (Windows 7), what is the max memory that can be used by RM?
    Currently, there is no realistic limit for memory on 64 bit systems. In principle, a recent AMD based system can use up to 256 Terabytes but this would be restricted by current Windows systems to a maximum of 16 Terabytes. Should be sufficient  ;)

Here at Rapid-I we use compute servers on 64 bit base with 64 Gigabyte of memory which became affordable lately.

Cheers,
    Ingo
  • Options
    Whit1323Whit1323 Member Posts: 4 Contributor I
    I could bring this up on a few different old threads, but I just wanted a clarification:  I understand you can edit the heap size by editing the RapidMinerGUI.bat file.  However, on a Windows machine, I understand that it automatically uses 80% of the available memory, right?  So really the only reason to edit that file is to get that additional 20%?  Thanks for your help!
  • Options
    wesselwessel Member Posts: 537 Maven
    You can buy a pretty cheap PC with 24 GB of memory these days.
    It is possible to by 24GB of memory for as little as 150 euros.
    Of course you need another 300 euros for a motherboard and CPU.

Best regards,

Wessel