Options

RM 5.5 Update Not working

dragoljubdragoljub Member Posts: 241 Contributor II
edited November 2018 in Help
Once again for some reason my RM update will not work. I have ensure that the program is run as administrator (checked in the properties of the EXE).

The update whizzed goes through the download and restart with no errors. After restart I check the about and the update menus to see that it is still 5.0.003.

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit.

-Gagi

Answers

• Options
    I ended up downloading the full install and then everything worked fine. Any ideas why the update wizzard fails?
  • Options
    yakaryosyakaryos Member Posts: 19 Contributor II
    start the program with administer rights and update it, next time start it with administer rights again. update will effect in this time. then you can use it updated.
  • Options
    I followed this both by manually selecting run as administrator and setting the properties of the exe to launch with administrator rights. In either case RM would not update correctly.

-Gagi
  • Options
    landland RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, Member Posts: 2,531 Unicorn
    Hi,
    did you use the 64 bit windows version? Unfortunately the bug, we fixed previously for the 32 bit version still remained in this version. The curse of doubled code...

Greetings,
      Sebastian
  • Options
    How can I check with version (64/32 bit) I am using?

I'm pretty sure its the 64 bit version since it installed in the Program Files directory not (x86) directory under Windows 7.

-Gagi
  • Options
    landland RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, Member Posts: 2,531 Unicorn
    Hi Gagi,
    then you will use the 64 bit version. You can check this in the task manager. If there's a star attached to the javaw.exe that executes your RapidMiner, its 32 bit, otherwise 64.
    The update problem should be solved for next update, so you will have to download it again from our homepage or sourceforge. Sorry for the inconvenience...

Greetings,
      Sebastian
  • Options
    Thanks for the info, I just checked and I am running 64bit. Hopefully next time it should all work.

-Gagi
  • Options
    cthielcthiel Member Posts: 16 Contributor II
    I can confirm the update-problems 5.0.005 -> 5.0.006.
    RM would download the update, request a restart, and be in the same v5.0.005 after restart.

But, I am on a Linux machine (kubunty lynx), 32 Bit, so the bug seems to be more widespread than only in the Win64-version.

I tried starting RM via sudo (even added a sudo inside the GUI-script), same problem as above.

Updates of plugins went fine, as far as I remember.

I could only solve the problem by downloading and re-installing the entire package.

Christian
  • Options
    Hi Christian,
    the update will download the files from the server and store it in a temporary directory, because the program cannot overwrite itself as long as the Java VM has opened its files. That's why another independent program must be used for this. If you start the jar file directly, there's no such program.
    Which way do you start RapidMiner?

Greetings,
      Sebastian
  • Options
    FYI after changing my RM .exe to launch with admin rights the latest update worked for me.

Windows 7 Ultimate x64

Thanks,
    -Gagi
  • Options
    Hi,
    ok I got it. Still some problems with insufficient user privileges. Does anyone know a way how to ask for root rights during a unix script without needing to see the console? I think this would be the way to go...

Greetings,
      Sebastian
  • Options
    cthielcthiel Member Posts: 16 Contributor II
    Hi Sebastian,

I use the RapidMinerGUI-Script for running RM. Should this be enough so that it can self-replace? If not, what is the Linux-Update-Solution?

(Remark: an update 06->08 did not work just now, also not with the script above started as sudo.)

Greetings,
    Christian
  • Options
    Hi,
    sorry, we will have to look into that matter, but it's quite difficult for me with a windows machine :)
    Could you add this as a bug to the bugtracker?

Greetings,
      Sebastian