Due to recent updates, all users are required to create an Altair One account to login to the RapidMiner community. Click the Register button to create your account using the same email that you have previously used to login to the RapidMiner community. This will ensure that any previously created content will be synced to your Altair One account. Once you login, you will be asked to provide a username that identifies you to other Community users. Email us at Community with questions.

Gini Index Random Forest

TimboTimbo Member Posts: 14 Contributor II
edited November 2018 in Help
Hi,

whenever I try using the gini index option for the Random Forest the process breaks down due to memory issues. Even if I only use something like 7000 examples, 15 Attrubutes and 2 classes for which all other options work fine. Is that a known bug or just due to the method?

Answers

• landland RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, Member Posts: 2,531 Unicorn
    Hi,
    please restrict the maximal tree depth and minimal number of examples per leaf to cut tree building. Might be it "explodes" exponentially.

Greetings,
      Sebastian
  • TimboTimbo Member Posts: 14 Contributor II
    Well I am using default settings. if it is "exploding" with those then maybe this shouldn't be default settings...
  • landland RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, Member Posts: 2,531 Unicorn
    Hi,
    if it can explode depends on your data: If you have many nominal values, the tree size can be much greater than if all attributes are numerical and there can be only a split into two branches...

Greetings,
      Sebastian