Due to recent updates, all users are required to create an Altair One account to login to the RapidMiner community. Click the Register button to create your account using the same email that you have previously used to login to the RapidMiner community. This will ensure that any previously created content will be synced to your Altair One account. Once you login, you will be asked to provide a username that identifies you to other Community users. Email us at Community with questions.

"Limit for columns of pivot table"

CrazyTCrazyT Member Posts: 8 Contributor II
edited June 2019 in Help
Hello there,

I'm really new to this program (RapidMiner 5.0.008) and I'm just using it privately.
I think there seems to be a problem with the pivot-operator.
If you use more than 83 columns, it looks like it allways returns just 1 column (Amount).
For some reason it doesn't do the thing for a column amount less than 84.
So is this just a limit?
If yes, why does there no error message or warning appear?
Is there any workaround for this limitation?

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="no"?>
<process version="5.0">
  <context>
    <input/>
    <output/>
    <macros/>
  </context>
  <operator activated="true" breakpoints="before" class="process" compatibility="5.0.0" expanded="true" name="Process">
    <process expanded="true" height="391" width="915">
      <operator activated="true" class="generate_transaction_data" compatibility="5.0.0" expanded="true" height="60" name="Generate Transaction Data" width="90" x="4" y="113">
        <parameter key="number_transactions" value="100000"/>
        <parameter key="number_customers" value="5000"/>
        <parameter key="number_items" value="84"/>
        <parameter key="number_clusters" value="1"/>
      </operator>
      <operator activated="true" class="pivot" compatibility="5.0.0" expanded="true" height="76" name="Pivot" width="90" x="179" y="210">
        <parameter key="group_attribute" value="Id"/>
        <parameter key="index_attribute" value="Item"/>
      </operator>
      <operator activated="true" class="replace_missing_values" compatibility="5.0.0" expanded="true" height="94" name="Replace Missing Values" width="90" x="246" y="75">
        <parameter key="default" value="zero"/>
        <list key="columns"/>
      </operator>
      <operator activated="true" class="numerical_to_binominal" compatibility="5.0.0" expanded="true" height="76" name="Numerical to Binominal" width="90" x="380" y="75"/>
      <operator activated="true" class="fp_growth" compatibility="5.0.0" expanded="true" height="76" name="FP-Growth" width="90" x="447" y="210"/>
      <operator activated="true" class="create_association_rules" compatibility="5.0.0" expanded="true" height="60" name="Create Association Rules" width="90" x="581" y="210">
        <parameter key="min_confidence" value="0.1"/>
      </operator>
      <connect from_op="Generate Transaction Data" from_port="output" to_op="Pivot" to_port="example set input"/>
      <connect from_op="Pivot" from_port="example set output" to_op="Replace Missing Values" to_port="example set input"/>
      <connect from_op="Replace Missing Values" from_port="example set output" to_op="Numerical to Binominal" to_port="example set input"/>
      <connect from_op="Numerical to Binominal" from_port="example set output" to_op="FP-Growth" to_port="example set"/>
      <connect from_op="Numerical to Binominal" from_port="original" to_port="result 2"/>
      <connect from_op="FP-Growth" from_port="frequent sets" to_op="Create Association Rules" to_port="item sets"/>
      <connect from_op="Create Association Rules" from_port="rules" to_port="result 1"/>
      <portSpacing port="source_input 1" spacing="0"/>
      <portSpacing port="sink_result 1" spacing="0"/>
      <portSpacing port="sink_result 2" spacing="0"/>
      <portSpacing port="sink_result 3" spacing="0"/>
    </process>
  </operator>
</process>
Thanks for your answers.  :)
(If some of the sentence sound weird, its because english is not my native language)

Edit:

I just noticed that there seem to exist a bug-entry for that:

http://bugs.rapid-i.com/show_bug.cgi?id=245

Still wonder if there is a way around that problem.

Edit again (informations for the developers):
Alright ... i modified the source in eclipse to make that operator work in the way i need it.
Thats what i changed in the file "Example2AttributePivoting.java" as a temporary fix:
  Modified this line:

constantAttributeValues = true;
  into that:

constantAttributeValues = false;
I know that this line was there for a reason ... but when i tried to debug it i found out that somehow the condition at:

if (lastExample.getValue(attribute) != example.getValue(attribute)) {
constantAttributeValues = false;
continue;
}
never gets fired for i=1 (column at i=1 should be my Amount-attribute).
(its weird cos this only happens for a column-amount/item-amount > 83
Not to mention that this line seems to check if the content of the Amount column changed.
Although my Amount column does not even change at <=83  - its allways "1")

Answers

• landland RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, Member Posts: 2,531 Unicorn
    Hi,
    thank you for your investigations regarding this bug. I will attach a link to this thread on the respective bug.

Greetings,
      Sebastian
  • fischerfischer Member Posts: 439 Maven
    Hi,

we now have a parameter to switch pivoting for constant columns on and off.

Cheers,
    Simon