Options

"Separate Threads for two independent operators using Java Swing"

GhostriderGhostrider Member Posts: 60 Contributor II
edited June 2019 in Help
I have two separate operators which open a JFrame and do some rendering.  The rendering is very CPU consuming and I would like to run both on a separate threads.  The two operators and JFrames are completely independent.  Is there any way to run the rendering on separate threads?  If I recall correctly, there's only 1 swing thread.  Just seeing if there's anything that can be done to get around that restriction.
Tagged:

Answers

• Options
    landland RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, Member Posts: 2,531 Unicorn
    Hi,
    you could render into a buffered image and after finishing pass the buffered image to the awt event thread to paint it.

Greetings,
      Sebastian
  • Options
    GhostriderGhostrider Member Posts: 60 Contributor II
    That's a very good idea.  I've never tried that before, but thanks for the suggestion.  I'll look into it.

Update: Is there an example of drawing to bufferedImage within RapidMiner?  I know RapidMiner uses JFreeChart and I can see if-statements for bufferedImage drawing in JFreeChart's XYItemRenderer object.
  • Options
    landland RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, Member Posts: 2,531 Unicorn
    Hi,
    you can just retrieve the graphics object from a buffered image and render into it using the paint Component method as you would do for a JPanel.
    By the way: It is generally discouraged to access any awt methods inside operators. This would cause the process to crash in server or command line mode.
    I would suggest storing the results in an IOObject, registering a renderer for this result object and then you can take a look at the object instead of outputs created during the process. This way it is much easier to maintain results for documentation, you can even report them.

Greetings,
      Sebastian