Options

Failed Start - Impossible to open RapidMiner

nico_turo22nico_turo22 Member Posts: 8 Contributor I
edited March 2020 in Help
Dear all,
I'n an honour to be part of this amazing community.
I would like to have your help to solve a problem that is preventing me to use RapidMiner.
Since the installation, completed succesfully, It's not possible to launch the programme correctly. Attached to my message, you can find two screenshots I took to guide you. Sometimes a message appears saying that I should disable add-in, otherwise It will not function (screenshot 1). Some other times, even after disabling the add-ins, the programme starts but after a few second a message appears saying that there was a problem with Java (screenshot 2).
I am desperate to find a solution! It is an important programme, vital for my degree.
Any idea?
Nicola

Best Answers

• Options
    sgenzersgenzer Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, Community Manager, Member, University Professor, PM Moderator Posts: 2,959 Community Manager
    Solution Accepted
    hi @nico_turo22 I am not an expert in this like @Marco_Boeck but it is pretty clear that you do not have enough free RAM on your computer to run RapidMiner. An 8GB laptop is the bare minimum to run RapidMiner under any circumstances, and you seem to have much less than this free.

My basic advice: try quitting EVERYTHING in your laptop (use Task Manager) and keep running wmic os get freephysicalmemory until you can get that number over 6GB. Then try again.

Scott

Answers

• Options
    varunm1varunm1 Moderator, Member Posts: 1,207 Unicorn
    Hello @nico_turo22

Are you using Java version 8? If not, you should only use Java version 8 for Rapidminer.

@Marco_Boeck can help you with more information.
    Regards,
    Varun
    https://www.varunmandalapu.com/

Be Safe. Follow precautions and Maintain Social Distancing

• Options
    Marco_BoeckMarco_Boeck Administrator, Moderator, Employee, Member, University Professor Posts: 1,995 RM Engineering
    Hi,

I have 3 questions for you:
    1. What operating system are you using?
    2. What RapidMiner Studio version are you using? (Win32 or Win64)
    3. What happens if you start Studio via the RapidMiner-Studio.bat file?
    Regards,
    Marco
  • Options

I tried to install the latest version of Java, however, I still have the same problem. The only difference is that now the message about the Java error does not appear, but if I don't disable the add-ins it is not possible to launch the programme.

Thanks for the advice anyway!

• Options

I am using Windows 10 Home installed on my Acer Swift laptop.
    The version installed is the Educational Version - 64 bit
    About the alternative start proposed, I never tried. How it works? What should I do?

Thanks for your help

• Options
    Marco_BoeckMarco_Boeck Administrator, Moderator, Employee, Member, University Professor Posts: 1,995 RM Engineering
    Hi,

A .bat file is a Windows file that triggers the launch of something via the commandline. You can start Studio that way just like with the .exe. You simply double-click the RapidMiner-Studio.bat file and the startup will trigger.

Regards,
    Marco
  • Options

I just tried to double click the .bat file in the RapidMiner directory. I still the same problem, the result is the same when I try to launch RapidMiner with the .exe file.
    I tried last week to unistall and install it again, but nothing.
    I am desperate, as I need to use for my university project.
    Any other suggestion?

Kind regards,
    Nicola

• Options
    Hi,

The .bat window will contain more information on why the startup fails. Can you please do screenshots of the entire content the .bat window shows?

Regards,
    Marco
  • Options

thanks for helping me. I am quite discouraged right now!
    Attached you can find the result when I try to open the programme with the .bat file.

Many thanks,
    Nicola

• Options
    Hi,

Thank you for the screenshots!
    The problem is, that what you see is not an ordinary scenario, something is going quite wrong.
    It basically means, Java cannot get any memory from Windows, and thus fails hard.

1. What specifications does your system have?
    2. What does the Windows Task Manager show about the amount of free memory you have?
    This is not a bug or something we can fix, your machine physically does not have enough free memory available for Java.

Regards,
    Marco
  • Options
    Hi,

my specifications are:
    • Processor: Intel® Core™ i3-6006U CPU @ 2.00GHz 2.00GHz
    • Installed RAM:  8.00 GB (7.87 GB available)
    • Type of system: 64 bit, processor based on x64
    • Windows 10 Home, version 1903
    The available memory on C is 55GB out of 120 - I don't usually put on my laptop unecessary file, the only things on are essentially programmes.
    Is there something that I can do to try to run succesfully Java? Because we are all in quarantine now, It is not even possible using the uni's pc. But I need to work on some projects. Some advice?

Many thanks for your dedication and help.
    Best regards,
    Nicola

• Options
    Hi,

It's about free RAM (aka memory), not the disk space.
    I have two more questions:
    1. Can you run the following command and let me know the result? Press the Windows button, enter cmd and press the Enter key, then enter the following command: wmic os get freephysicalmemory
    2. In the C:\Users\yourUsername\.RapidMiner folder there is a launcher.log file. I would like to see the content of that one please.
    Regards,
    Marco
  • Options

I followed your instructions and attached to this massage you can find the screenshot (question 1) and a copy of the launcher.log file (question 2).

Many thanks for this incredible help.
    Best regards,
    Nicola
  • Options
    I would like to thank you all!
    In particular @Marco_Boeck , after following his advice - install a 32 bit version - I am now able to use the programme. It is a bit slower but it's fine as long as it runs.
    Thanks again! :):smile: