Options

Rapid miner RAM usage

blueearthblueearth Member Posts: 42 Contributor II
edited November 2018 in Help
Hi i have noticed that when i run a process on rapid it just use few amount of available RAM while as the process takes much longer time the Rapid use more ram ..but this takes so much time ...how can i make rapid use more RAM from beginning? I need my processes to be done more quickly what can i do? some times i have to wait for weeks.
Thanks alot

Answers

• Options
    haddockhaddock Member Posts: 849 Maven
    Hi,

It is always worth searching this forum, this question is asked and answered very often, for example just 2 days ago!

http://rapid-i.com/rapidforum/index.php/topic,5399.0.html

Best

H
  • Options
    yes  sorry thanks  I saw that but the problem is here that it says
    Perform a click on the start menu entry or a double click on the desktop icon in order to start RapidMiner. Please note that RapidMiner automatically uses 80% of the free memory during startup. This should be ok for most applications. If you run into memory problems, you should check out one of the other possibilities to start RapidMiner.
    but when i start rapid miner it does not use 80% of free RAM ! Should i change to All platform version or it can be fixed through rapid miner settings?
  • Options
    It also says..
    Starting RapidMiner: Any Platform - Way 1

Two ways exist to start RapidMiner on any supported platform. The main reason why one should start RapidMiner with one of these ways is to adapt the amount of memory which is allowed for usage. The default Java installation uses only a small amount of memory (64 or 128 Mb) even if your system provides more physical memory (this is different for the Windows installation, see above). Therefore we recommend to define the maximum amount of memory which can be used by Java and the location of Java itself via the environment variables MAX_JAVA_MEMORY and JAVA_HOME:
  • Options
    haddock wrote:

It also says..

Im sorry but it seems u didnt understand my problem very well....my problem is not maximum useable Ram my problem is Minimum of it !!
    i have 8 Gig available Ram but rapid use does not use it.....as i said it just use few of it at first...then start to increase it so slowwwwwwyly....
    when i run rapid on SERVER i have 20 GB available ram ....at first Rapid use 4 gig after days it reach to 12 or 13 i want rapid to use Ram from the beginning
    not after days.
    thanks
  • Options
    OK, post your process so we can all see what you're doing.
  • Options
    I cant do it
    it says "The message exceeds the maximum allowed length (20000 characters). "
  • Options
    You could try splitting it up into smaller chunks, and posting them.

Best

H
  • Options
    MariusHelfMariusHelf RapidMiner Certified Expert, Member Posts: 1,869 Unicorn
    Hi,

to make RapidMiner reserve a certain amount of RAM directly after starting you can use the startup scripts instead of the .exe file and pass the -Xms paramter to the execution line, e.g. "-Xms8000M"l. However, this won't increase the performance of RapidMiner - the Xms option only serves the purpose of reserving the RAM such that it cannot be claimed by other processes before RapidMiner uses it.

Best, Marius