Due to recent updates, all users are required to create an Altair One account to login to the RapidMiner community. Click the Register button to create your account using the same email that you have previously used to login to the RapidMiner community. This will ensure that any previously created content will be synced to your Altair One account. Once you login, you will be asked to provide a username that identifies you to other Community users. Email us at Community with questions.

How to weight examples like SPSS?

tmyerstmyers Member Posts: 21 Contributor II
edited November 2018 in Help
Hi. I am new to RM and am trying to learn about its Weighting functions. I want to weight a dataset like in SPSS, where I select a single weight variable to weight examples (or cases in SPSS-speak). I would select the variable to use as the weight, and any subsequent aggregations I would perform would apply this weight variable to the examples included in the calculation.

I have been reading the definitions of the various Weighting variables and most seem to either derive weights from the dataset itself OR apply weights on an attribute-by-attribute basis......I'm just just looking to apply a single weight variable to everything.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated-

Thanks,

Tim
Tagged:

Answers

• MartinLiebigMartinLiebig Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, University Professor Posts: 3,531 RM Data Scientist
    Hi tim,

you can set a attribute to the role weight using Set Role operator. This is then used in models, aggregations on an example-by example basis. Of course you can first generate the attribute with a Generate Attributes operator.

~Martin
    - Sr. Director Data Solutions, Altair RapidMiner -
    Dortmund, Germany
  • tmyerstmyers Member Posts: 21 Contributor II
    Thanks Martin. That seems to work for me so long as I remove any examples with a NULL value for the attribute set as the Weight role. I had a few stray examples that didn't have a value for my Weight attribute.

Am I correct in assuming that whichever attribute I set as a Weight must have values for all examples?