Due to recent updates, all users are required to create an Altair One account to login to the RapidMiner community. Click the Register button to create your account using the same email that you have previously used to login to the RapidMiner community. This will ensure that any previously created content will be synced to your Altair One account. Once you login, you will be asked to provide a username that identifies you to other Community users. Email us at Community with questions.

transfer license to new computer

szde_yuszde_yu Member Posts: 1 Learner I
edited January 2019 in Help
I installed rapidminer on an old computer and would like to transfer it to a new computer with the same license. I know one license can be used for two workstations, but I also want to install it on an additional laptop with the same license. Is there a way to transfer license to a new computer so that the old one no longer count? Thanks
Tagged:

Answers

• rfuentealbarfuentealba RapidMiner Certified Analyst, Member, University Professor Posts: 568 Unicorn
    Hi @szde_yu,

If @leti, @sgenzer or @mschmitz can correct me, that would be superb!

A license is given to a named person, not to a computer. I have it installed on both laptops (personal and professional one) and two desktop computers (one at home and another one at the office). Since I use RapidMiner Studio at just one location at any given time, and at most on both my laptop and one of my desktop computers, that isn't a problem. The problem would be to give a license to someone else, as you are the person entitled to use RapidMiner Studio through that license.

All the best,

Rodrigo.
  • MartinLiebigMartinLiebig Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, University Professor Posts: 3,531 RM Data Scientist
    @rfuentealba ,

you are generally correct. I think there are special clauses on the concurrent use of the same license on various computers. But i think this is a) not the case and b) not a big thing for edu-licenses.

TL:DR: You can install Studio with your license on as many computers as you want, as long as only you use it and you only use one studio at a time.

BR,
    Martin
    - Sr. Director Data Solutions, Altair RapidMiner -
    Dortmund, Germany
  • sgenzersgenzer Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, Community Manager, Member, University Professor, PM Moderator Posts: 2,959 Community Manager
    yes concur with all above. One added part is simply logistical - you may find it easier to transfer licenses by actually grabbing your license key from my.rapidminer.com and then inserting it into Studio by going to Settings -> Manage Licenses.

Scott