Due to recent updates, all users are required to create an Altair One account to login to the RapidMiner community. Click the Register button to create your account using the same email that you have previously used to login to the RapidMiner community. This will ensure that any previously created content will be synced to your Altair One account. Once you login, you will be asked to provide a username that identifies you to other Community users. Email us at Community with questions.

RM Studio 9.3 not starting anymore

joendjoend Member Posts: 3 Learner I
edited September 2019 in Help
Hello,
i installed RM 9.3.1 in my Windows 10 and used it exactly 1 time for process mining with ProM-Tool. While I did that, I got a freezed screen so I stopped the RapidMiner task. Since that, RapidMiner is not starting anymore. No error message, just no reaction. But in the task manager I can see that Java starts, but nothing else happens than a new Java task... I reinstalled RM but still no reaction. I've 192 GB Memory and 20 Processores running so that shouldn't be a problem. I have a 64bit machine, the 64bit install.exe file but nevertheless RM installs a 32bit version. Maybe this is important?
I have no idea where to start looking for this issue. Maybe some of you know my trouble.
Tagged:

Answers

• MartinLiebigMartinLiebig Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, University Professor Posts: 3,531 RM Data Scientist
    Hi,

can you please have a look / post your rapidminer-studio.log? It is located in .RapidMiner folder in your Home dir.

Cheers,
    Martin
    - Sr. Director Data Solutions, Altair RapidMiner -
    Dortmund, Germany
  • joendjoend Member Posts: 3 Learner I
    edited September 2019
    Hi, thank you for the fast answer. I found some log files:
    - rapidminer-studio.log.1, rapidminer-studio.log.2, rapidminer-studio.log3., rapidminer-studio.log.4 and rapidminer-studio.log.1.lck, ...2.lck, ..3.lck, ..4.lck - but they are all empty!

Does the file "launcher.txt" helps you? there are some "logs" in it?!

I tried to run the .bat start file but nothing else then the message "Launching RapidMiner Studio GUI now...", nothing happens..

Thank you in advance!
  • MartinLiebigMartinLiebig Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, University Professor Posts: 3,531 RM Data Scientist
    Hi,
    if you want to run the bat, then please start a new cmd and launch it from CMD, then you can see the log as well.

There should be a .log without anything after it. .1 .2 and so on are only created in case you opened more than 1 studio at the same time.

Have you by the way checked what happend if your deinstall prom? (Just delete the jar from your managed folder).

Best,
    Martin
    - Sr. Director Data Solutions, Altair RapidMiner -
    Dortmund, Germany
  • sgenzersgenzer Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, Community Manager, Member, University Professor, PM Moderator Posts: 2,959 Community Manager
    @joend yes if you have Java 64-bit and you downloaded the 32-bit version of RapidMiner, that is exactly what will happen. Please uninstall the 32-bit version and re-download + install the 64-bit version.

Scott

• joendjoend Member Posts: 3 Learner I
    edited September 2019
    Thank you for your help!

mschmiz: there is a screenshot when I lauch RM .bat via CMD - is there a hidden error message it just s? 

Unfortunately I cannot find any rapidminer-studio.log file, just a rapidminer-studio.log.lck file - which is empty... but as i sad I can provide the launcher.txt if that would help..

I deleted the .jar file in managed folder but still no reaction.

sgenzer: thank you too! I think I have the 64 bit version of RM (installed rapidminer-studio-9.3.1-win64-install.exe ) . I uninstalled RM, deleted the hidden .RapidMiner folder manually then reinstalled and RM started! But the joy was a short one, ofter 2 hours it crached again and now I have the same problem again... By the way, where can I see which java version I have? 

Thank you in advance
    Jo

---
    Edit: Deleting the whole .RapidMiner folder helps, it runs again without uninstalling RM... But that's not a very smooth solution....
  • sgenzersgenzer Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, Community Manager, Member, University Professor, PM Moderator Posts: 2,959 Community Manager
    @joend trashing the .RapidMiner folder should (?) be done whenever you uninstall RapidMiner. That folder is very important - it holds all of your user-specific information (see this KB article). 

As for finding Java version, please follow these instructions: https://www.java.com/en/download/help/version_manual.xml

Scott