Options

Model Simulator Seems to be Broken in RM 9.4

mortizmortiz Member Posts: 20 Maven

Below is the error I get everytime I use the Simulator Block since I updated...

• Exception: java.lang.NullPointerException
  • Stack trace:
  • com.rapidminer.extension.modelsimulator.simulator.ModelSimulatorRenderer.createPredictionData(ModelSimulatorRenderer.java:280)
  • com.rapidminer.extension.modelsimulator.simulator.ModelSimulatorRenderer.getVisualizationComponent(ModelSimulatorRenderer.java:106)
  • com.rapidminer.gui.processeditor.results.ResultDisplayTools$1.run(ResultDisplayTools.java:171)
  • com.rapidminer.gui.tools.ProgressThread$3.run(ProgressThread.java:586)
  • java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1149)
  • java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:624)
  • java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748)

Any tips?

Best Answers

Answers

• Options
    varunm1varunm1 Moderator, Member Posts: 1,207 Unicorn
    Hello @mortiz

I am currently on 9.4 and the model simulator is working fine for me. Can you test the below sample process and inform us if this is working or not?

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><process version="9.4.001">
      <context>
        <input/>
        <output/>
        <macros/>
      </context>
      <operator activated="true" class="process" compatibility="9.4.000" expanded="true" name="Process" origin="GENERATED_TUTORIAL">
        <parameter key="logverbosity" value="init"/>
        <parameter key="random_seed" value="2001"/>
        <parameter key="send_mail" value="never"/>
        <parameter key="notification_email" value=""/>
        <parameter key="process_duration_for_mail" value="30"/>
        <parameter key="encoding" value="SYSTEM"/>
        <process expanded="true">
          <operator activated="true" class="retrieve" compatibility="9.4.001" expanded="true" height="68" name="Retrieve Titanic Training" origin="GENERATED_TUTORIAL" width="90" x="45" y="34">
            <parameter key="repository_entry" value="//Samples/data/Titanic Training"/>
          </operator>
          <operator activated="true" class="naive_bayes" compatibility="9.4.001" expanded="true" height="82" name="Naive Bayes" origin="GENERATED_TUTORIAL" width="90" x="179" y="34">
            <parameter key="laplace_correction" value="true"/>
          </operator>
          <operator activated="true" class="retrieve" compatibility="9.4.001" expanded="true" height="68" name="Retrieve Titanic Unlabeled" origin="GENERATED_TUTORIAL" width="90" x="179" y="136">
            <parameter key="repository_entry" value="//Samples/data/Titanic Unlabeled"/>
          </operator>
          <operator activated="true" class="model_simulator:model_simulator" compatibility="9.4.001" expanded="true" height="103" name="Model Simulator" origin="GENERATED_TUTORIAL" width="90" x="313" y="34"/>
          <connect from_op="Retrieve Titanic Training" from_port="output" to_op="Naive Bayes" to_port="training set"/>
          <connect from_op="Naive Bayes" from_port="model" to_op="Model Simulator" to_port="model"/>
          <connect from_op="Naive Bayes" from_port="exampleSet" to_op="Model Simulator" to_port="training data"/>
          <connect from_op="Retrieve Titanic Unlabeled" from_port="output" to_op="Model Simulator" to_port="test data"/>
          <connect from_op="Model Simulator" from_port="simulator output" to_port="result 1"/>
          <portSpacing port="source_input 1" spacing="0"/>
          <portSpacing port="sink_result 1" spacing="0"/>
          <portSpacing port="sink_result 2" spacing="0"/>
        </process>
      </operator>
    </process>

Regards,
    Varun
    https://www.varunmandalapu.com/

Be Safe. Follow precautions and Maintain Social Distancing

• Options
    That actually works. hmm...
  • Options
    Is it possible to share the process and data that is throwing you this error? It would be helpful to recreate your error to see how the inputs are going inside the simulator.
    Regards,
    Varun

• Options

Unfortunately I cant share the XML but this is the process...

• Options
    Everything works except that block.
  • Options
    Can you set a breakpoint before the "model simulator" to see if the model, training and test sets are going inside? You can set this by right-clicking on the model simulator operator and breakpoint before. Once you set it run the process and see what is going inside.
    Regards,
    Varun

• Options
    IngoRMIngoRM Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, Community Manager, RMResearcher, Member, University Professor Posts: 1,751 RM Founder
    Yes, please, whatever you can share will be very helpful!  This has been reported a couple of days ago (see: https://community.rapidminer.com/discussion/56191/after-updating-rapidminer-i-am-getting-error-running-the-model-simulator ) but we did not got a lot of information yet what is causing this issue.  I also cannot reproduce it and that makes fixing very hard... 
    We really appreciate your support on this and are very sorry for the inconvenience,
    Ingo
  • Options
    @IngoRM @varunm1

Looks like the error sits with the Date attribute. When I removed Date from my dataset, the model simulator ran correctly. 
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    Hello @mortiz

That's the issue. The model simulator doesn't support date attribute. Glad you resolved it
    Regards,
    Varun

• Options
    IngoRMIngoRM Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, Community Manager, RMResearcher, Member, University Professor Posts: 1,751 RM Founder
    Just to keep you folks in the loop: the error has been fixed and we will deliver the fix as part of the next release (actually coming quite soon already...)
  • Options
    Thanks for the update!
  • Options
    sgenzersgenzer Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, Community Manager, Member, University Professor, PM Moderator Posts: 2,959 Community Manager
    Again just for those who want to follow this issue, it is in Product Feedback here: https://community.rapidminer.com/discussion/56191/after-updating-rapidminer-i-am-getting-error-running-the-model-simulator