How to properly connect to mongo atlas (cloud) ?

kaymankayman Member Posts: 662 Unicorn
edited December 2018 in Help

Hi there, I am currently trying to get a mongo in the cloud connection, and while I am able to connect to the admin database I am not able to connect to other db instances. I can connect to these using a dedicated mongo tool (like robo 3T) but not using Rapidminer. So either my settings in RM or in Atlas require something special to use any but the admin instance db

Anyone ever tried something similar? Not sure if the problem is RM related or Atlas related but there is hardly any documentation to find.

Answers

• Edin_KlapicEdin_Klapic Moderator, Employee, RMResearcher, Member Posts: 299 RM Data Scientist

Hi @kayman,

I did connect to a MongoDB on a different Server but not to a Mongo Atlas offering before.

Connecting to each database instance works without issues.

Are there security settings distinguishing the admin db from the other dbs?

Happy Mining,

Edin

• kaymankayman Member Posts: 662 Unicorn

Hi Edin, that's kind of the open question. I was also able in the past (and still) to connect to our in house mongo db's, independent of location. But since we want to move some of them to the cloud I first need to test these. The atlas part seems to have no real dedicated settings as such, and neither can we change that much on the RM part. So I was kind of hoping someone else ever tried it before and could tell me where I might have overlooked something.

• Edin_KlapicEdin_Klapic Moderator, Employee, RMResearcher, Member Posts: 299 RM Data Scientist

Hi @kayman,

Seems I have no solution for you :/

For what it's worth:

As of v8.1.1 the RapidMiner NoSQL extension uses the mongo-java-connector-v3.3.

As you can see in the mongo driver compatibility matrix this version is not recommended for MongoDB v3.4 onwards.

Other than that did you check the Mongo reference How to connect to a cluster?

Happy Mining,

Edin

• kaymankayman Member Posts: 662 Unicorn

Thanks @Edin_Klapic,

I am currently capable of connecting to my own 3.6 mongo environment (both remote and local) without any problem, so there seems to be no real issue there even if it's not really recommended. I can imagine not all of the power or new features of mongo 3.4 and upwards are supported, but the basic things do work fine. My Atlas instance is 3.4 (it's the free trial option) so there is indeed a possible mismatch, but I'd assume simply connecting to a collection should be ok.

Mongo 3.2 is getting a bit outdated so are there plans to update the noSQL operator? Or is this something that can be done by me given a little guidance? I could in theory convert everything and start using the python toolbox but I'd prefer to keep it with the out of the box functionality

Hi @kayman,

I agree, just building up a connection should even work with the older driver.

Regarding the driver version, I dropped a note to our dev team to update it.

Happy Mining,

Edin