Options

Calculate optimal placement of AED based on grid population data

online360online360 Member Posts: 34 Contributor II
Hi!

I'm working on a non-commercial project to increase the number of publicly available AEDs.
For that, I don't just want to place one AED per city or what ever but I want to calculate the optimal locations for those AEDs based on the population per grid (100x100m or whatever) so that those AEDs are placed where the most people live and not just one in the center of a city or whatever.

I have a shp file that holds the grid data as well as a csv that contains the grid id and the population-data for all the grids.

Does anyone have an idea on how to calculate the best locations for a specific number of AEDs? (Like you have 300 AEDs to place, in which grid should they be or should there even be 2 for a specific grid?)

I hope that this project will lead to a higher number of survived heart-related emergencies and would appreciate any help.

Many thanks in advance!

Answers

• Options
    BTW: The ID of each grid box is named after its coordinates.

In step 2 the results (where to place AEDs) will be compared with the current AED index.
  • Options
    sgenzersgenzer Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, Community Manager, Member, University Professor, PM Moderator Posts: 2,959 Community Manager
    hi @online360 interesting project! Have you looked into Voronoi diagrams? It's not something you can do in RapidMiner (or maybe this is a good application of geospatial, @mschmitz? ) but that would be my first line of attack.

Scott

• Options
    BalazsBaranyBalazsBarany Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert Posts: 955 Unicorn
    Hi,

this is a great project. Let's connect directly, I'm happy to help you with the geodata processing and the analytics.

Regards,
    Balázs
  • Options
    @sgenzer Thanks for your feedback, will have a look into that.

@BalazsBarany Thanks a lot for that offer, will see you in our meeting!