Options

RapidMiner 9.1 randomly crashing

moritz_moellermoritz_moeller Member Posts: 5 Learner I
edited January 2019 in Help
Hello there,

first of all I have to say that I am new to RapidMiner and the community, so sorry for missing knowledge about the application.

I am currently using Rapidminer to do a clusteranalysis with k-means and DBSCAN. My dataset has around 15 million rows and 12 columns. When I try to filter using 'Filter Examples' it always happens that the program crashes and closes. I have 6 filter for my attributes that all define a range (like only values below 10 and greater than 2). Is there anything I could do to stop the program from crushin?Β 

My computer is definetly capable of doing that kind of stuff since it has 64GB of RAM, etc. I tried to monitor the RAM usage but it didnt seem to crash at the same amount, it didn't even use the maximum amount...
In addition I have to say that I dont get any information about the crash, the window just closes. I have the newest Java version installed. I also have to add that I installed Java after I installed RapidMiner because I am using a PC of someone else and didnt realize it doesn't have Java until I got an error. The crashes occured after I installed Java (Version 8u191).

I can give more information if necessary, maybe someone is able to help me or at least give me a clue..

Thanks and Greetings.

Tagged:

Answers

• Options
    MartinLiebigMartinLiebig Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, University Professor Posts: 3,507 RM Data Scientist
    sorry for this inconvinience. The log file of RapidMiner is located in your users folder in .Rapidminer/rapidminer-studio.log. Can you please check this after RM crashes? There should be some information in it.

Best,
    Martin
    - Sr. Director Data Solutions, Altair RapidMiner -
    Dortmund, Germany
  • Options
    hughesfleming68hughesfleming68 Member Posts: 323 Unicorn
    I have had DBSCAN use up all my memory and crash. Try manually setting Rapidminer to use 32G in your case in the Preference-System section and see if it still happens.
  • Options
    moritz_moellermoritz_moeller Member Posts: 5 Learner I
    Thank you both for the fast responses to my problem.

It somehow 'magically' solved itself over the night. This morning the process ran without any crashes even though I restarted my computer a couple of times yesterday. But I am still very grateful for the tips you gave me since I may run into other problems or crashes. I will have a look at the program and write again if I get another crash that seems to be of the same source (I will add the log data).

Thanks and have a nice day!